substitute || 25

Y/N DELOS SANTOS

"why are you hiding in my room instead of enjoying the beautiful sun outside?" Papa asked.

I looked up on him from the book I was reading. I was sat next to his bed accompanying him while he write on his journal. "I'm quite comfortable here, sir."

He sported a mischievous grin. "I do have a private nurse to tend to my needs, my dear daughter," he quipped, his eyes twinkling with humor.

"Why don't you go outside and hang out with your bride-to-be? You need to guard what's yours especially when a devilish incarnate is roaming around with your bride"

My eyes went wide and my brows furrowed. I'm not dumb so I know he is referring to Eunha. I must say Papa has a way with words

"I'm fine here, sir," I repeated with a smile.

"I'll read the books you like and look after you."

"You don't see Eunha as competition, do you?" My eyebrows shot upward.

"What? How? Oh, no, why would I see her as competition?"

Papa paused for a moment, his eyes fixed on mine, and he contemplated, "Indeed, why should you view her as a competitor when my daughter's heart already belongs to you?" I found myself staring at him, utterly taken aback by his words.

There was no way that Sana loved me. Clearly, Papa looked into things way too much. He had been fooled by Sana's proposal the previous night. I didn't know how to answer him. My conscience was eating me alive at the thought that I was deceiving this kind man

"Oh, cheer up, Amber. I was just teasing you," he said when he saw the discomfort on my face. "What's wrong? You seem down since the dinner last night.”

"You can tell me, you know." He said reassuringly.

I took a deep breath and looked away. "It's complicated, sir."

"Papa," he reminded me. "I thought we agreed that you'd call me 'Papa' from now on, girl?"

I stared at the book in my hands and recalled my conversation with my Cesare the night before.

FLASHBACK

"Cesare," I answered. My heart was beating so fast I swore he could hear it all the way from the Philippines.

"Are you doing well in Seoul, Y/N?" Cesare asked sternly. My knees shook badly. I wondered if he knew anything about my stay here in Japan.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. "Yes. Cesare."

"Are you getting along with Amber's fiancé?"

My heart beat even faster. I wondered what this phone call was all about. It made me nervous. I glanced back at the crowded dining table, they were all discreetly looking at me, probably interested in my phone call. "Yes. Cesare."

"Good," he acknowledged, and I let out a silent sigh of relief. Then, he continued, "I reached out because I've been unsuccessful in locating your sister. I understand I initially mentioned you'd only need to stand in for Amber temporarily, but it's been two weeks, and I've had no luck finding her. I must ask you to continue pretending for a few more weeks."

This request seemed increasingly concerning, especially given Sana's hastened pace with her undisclosed plans. My worries about being entangled in Sana's schemes grew.

I glanced at the diamond engagement ring Sana bought for my sister.

I had to get away as soon as I could. I feared that before Cesare could find Amber, it would be too late.