11. The Well

━━•✩.♡.✩•━━

The chase has just begun
Monsters stuck in your head
Monsters under your bed

– Monsters (Ruelle)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

One. Two. Three. Four. A deep breath in through the nose.

One. Two. Holding the breath.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. A deep breath out through the nose.

I tried to push out the fact that we were trapped in a dark, secret passage, not knowing where we were heading and right now all of our stuff was back in the deadly room. The only thing we had to defend ourselves were our rapiers. And even my braid was a mess and I feared I had lost my hair tie during our chaotic escape so basically it could fall apart at any moment.

Shortly, nothing was going well.

"A poltergeist could have shut a door but only changers can manifest as something as weird as blood," George rambled quickly and I had a very strong urge to join him but I was already fighting for my breath. "But never on that scale! Are we talking a new kind of Type Two?"

"That was just a regular changer," Lockwood objected. "No ghost can move that much heavy iron. It's none of our fault." His eyes fell on me. "Neither Eve's, nor mine. Someone living did that."

In the meantime, Lockwood created a bit of distance between his body and the wooden door that was the only thing separating us from the Red Room. He was now leaning against a wall, inspecting the new surroundings.

"What? Who? Fairfax?" Lucy asked. "No, he wouldn't dare be back there to do that."

"Well, maybe Ellie still has some talent. Maybe we're being tested," Lockwood suggested.

"Tested?" I repeated harshly. "We're here to do a job! Not on a bloody test!"

My fingers quickly found my hair as I started brushing it nervously. The hair tie was, in fact, gone. But that was the least of my concerns right now. We were down here with no way out. And I refused to believe this was a test. There was something more to it. I knew right away not to trust Fairfax. If I had turned my back to the case earlier, I wouldn't be here. But the question remained: why? Why us?

Why?

Tears of desperation clouded my eyes.

"You can't possibly imagine we're still gonna get something out of this. It's a deathtrap," Lucy said.

Lucy started looking around herself, raising her torch when Geroge's thermometer broke the silence once again. I despised that sound already.

"Oh God. Temperature just got lower. Which means that the Red Room isn't even the original haunting. It's just a secondary. There's something else out there," George shared.