Chapter Twenty-Seven: Hard Truths

Van

As they walked through the forest, Luca's limp grew less pronounced, and his heavy breathing settled into a normal rhythm. Both things meant Van was running out of time, and she was no closer to a solution than before. The only thing that gave her hope was the glimmer of city lights visible through the tree line. Maybe there she could find a way to get in touch with her friends, and Hailey could get the disgusting collar off him.

They reached a road, and she held up her hand to tell him to stop moving as she glanced up and down it to decide which way to go. There were no signs to give any indication as to where they were, but on the other side of the road and through more trees, she glimpsed what appeared to be a strip of restaurants and shops.

"You don't have the slightest idea what you're doing, do you?" Luca taunted. "You don't even know where we are."

"That's part of the territory when you're kidnapped," she snapped back at him, shoving him onto the asphalt hard enough he stumbled.

"Come on, Van." He spun around and gave her an imploring look that almost stopped her heart. His brown eyes were so soft and so familiar as he ran them over her face. "Let's call this one a draw."

"A draw?" Yellow light flooded the darkness as a car approached, and she dragged him into the ditch on the opposite side of the road. Here, she could hear the heavy pulse of music and the chatter of people. "This isn't a game, Luca."

"No, it's not," he spit back, then winced and put a hand on his ribs. "But you're the one who is living in some fantasy."

"Excuse me?" Van demanded.

"Gabriella told me that you think there's something between you and me. That's why you ran away. Because you couldn't admit the truth."

"What the actual–"

Van waited until he lowered his hand from his injury before she struck, and as she hoped, he fell to his knees with a grunt. It was a dirty move, but she had to buy herself more time, and honestly, after hearing such utter bullshit, it felt good to release a little frustration. When Luca was Luca again, she would apologize.

"And you want to paint yourself as the good guy," Luca wheezed, rising to his feet. His face was paler than before.

"Says the guy who was going to shoot my friends back at the vampire's house. Just because they were in the way. I punched you. We're not the same, and also, whatever Gabriella told you is a lie."

"She said you would say that."

"Do you have any thoughts in your head that don't belong to her?" she asked, grabbing his arm and dragging him through the trees, uncaring when he tripped over the uneven ground.

"I..." Luca halted.

Van's arm wrenched painfully when he refused to move. She squinted at him in the darkness and found an expression of confusion twisting his handsome face. The confusion turned to panic, and he swung his eyes back to hers.

"There's nothing but her," he finally admitted. Almost shamefully.

"Because of that." Van pointed to the collar. It was so hard not to hope that this was a breakthrough. Her heart couldn't handle another let down. "That collar controls you."

"No." Luca pushed past Van and marched toward the town. "She wouldn't do that to me."

"What do you think it is, Luca? A fashion statement?"

"Sure."

"Then take it off."

They stumbled out of the woods and into an alley, trading the scents of fresh pine and wet earth for piss and rotting trash. She rubbed her nose. Sure, having heightened senses was useful, but sometimes it was a nuisance.

"Take it off, Luca," she repeated as they lingered between pale brick buildings.

"I don't...I don't want to."

"You don't want to?" she scoffed. "Or you can't."

He shoved her into the bricks and pressed his palms against her shoulders to hold her in place. Sharp, uneven edges of stone dug into her tender flesh, but she didn't attempt to dislodge him; instead, she held his gaze, challenging him. Alpha to Alpha.

"You're thinking about it, aren't you?" she whispered. "Wondering why you don't want to. Wondering why you can't remember anything. Because she is using that collar to control you. She's brainwashed you. Told you that you love her, and that I'm just a poor, obsessed little girl."

"Yes." He shook his head and pressed harder. Until Van feared she might bruise. "No. You're twisting things."

Putting her hands on the bend in his arms, she yanked down, breaking his grip and spinning so he was the one pinned against the wall. Then she scooted close enough that her chest brushed against his.

"Then why do you want me, Luca?" She ran her thumb along his jaw, loving how his eyes flashed gold as his panther roused. "If Gabby's telling the truth, and I'm lying, why do you want to kiss me again?"

"I..." He shook his head and closed his eyes. "No."

"Yes. So, here's some truth for you. You and me...we're the real thing, Luca." Her voice broke. "You are the most caring and loyal person I have ever known. When you first met me, you refused to let me push you away, even though I tried. So damn hard. You risked everything to help me. You sat by my side for three weeks, watched me waste away, and you never lost hope. And when I woke up, you joined the search for your baby brother."

Luca tensed under the touch, and his eyes slowly opened. "Brantley."

Van smiled. "Brantley. You saved him, and it cost you your freedom. She put that collar on you, but you would do it again. For Brantley. For me. Because that's who you are."

He shuddered and tipped forward into Van's embrace. She curled her arms around his waist and held tight, fighting back tears even as she felt his tears soak her shirt. Right now, Luca needed her to be the strong one.

"Van," he groaned, pulling back and pushing hair out of her face. "What have I done?"

"Nothing! When Hailey gets here, she's going to remove that collar, okay?"

"You don't know...the things she made me do."

Van cupped his face. "None of that matters. You weren't in control. It wasn't you."

She stood on tiptoe and kissed him with a tenderness that belied the fire burning in her gut. The passion in the woods paled compared to what stretched between them now. That had been pure lust. This was made stronger by the love she saw shining in his eyes.

"Hey, you two!"

They jumped and looked down the alley. A stocky man motioned them forward, and Luca slid his hand into hers as they approached him. A relieved smile stretched across his face when they stepped into the light.

"That you, kid? Luca?"

Van stiffened in surprise as Luca tightened his grip. "It's me, Tank, and I've got the girl."