Her face, from its pale complexion, had become first cadaverous, and then completely white, almost as if instead of having seen a ghost she herself had become one.

Not a sound came from her, not even that of her breathing given that she was not breathing at all. But it did not matter since her silence was occupied by his noisy exhaling.

A hole was in the ceiling of the room, and one could glimpse the extreme inferior of the bullet that had just been fired.

The weapon from which it had come out was in an oblique, swinging position, held carelessly, sluggishly, in a weak and oblivious grip.

The person who had pulled the trigger had her eyes fixed in those marked by a myriad of red capillaries of his, her expression as expressionless as that of an empty shell.

But the skin she was wearing now seemed to be definitely catching fire, ready to become mere ashes on a battlefield full of blood and death. And her head ached, as if it had actually been pierced by the bullet but without killing her, forcing her to perish under the agonizing torture. And her mouth was clamped shut, her tongue knotted, her throat unable to make sounds or speak words.

She had not shot herself.
She had not ended her ephemeral and boring survival.

She had moved the barrel of the gun at the last second and the bullet that was supposed to go through her skull had instead hit the ceiling.

"I KNEW YOU WOULDN'T DO IT! ANYTHING TO AVOID RUINING THE SWEET AND ANGELIC ABIGAIL." the man screamed in delirium, his gun abandoned on the sheets covering his lower body.

Abigail opened her crystalline eyes wide as horror took the place of shock at the harsh reality.

She had not shot... Nicole had not shot because of her, for her. She had not shot to save her, to not leave her alone with that man, to not ruin her with the everlasting memory of a suicide she was forced to witness.

If Abigail had not been there...

The mere thought of the endless and horrible possibilities forced the blonde to bring a hand in front of her mouth to suppress a sob.

Instead, the man continued to cackle as his mad, cruel eyes stared into the neutral, blank ones of the redhead, who was watching the scene like a spectator behind the screen.

"PLAYING THE BENEVOLENT GOD WON'T DO ANY GOOD, NIKE-"

And he continued to express his amusement uncontrollably as she began to back away, the gun still in her right hand.

"BECAUSE SHE WILL NEVER LOVE YOU AS SUCH."

She turned, walking out the door as she increased her pace more and more.

"NO ONE WILL EVER LOVE THE CRUEL VICTORY."

Her walk soon turned into a run and, passing the dozen or so women who watched her without seeing her, disappointed that neither monster was dead, she walked out of that house without ever really escaping his words.

"IT WILL ALWAYS BE YOU AND ME, AS ONE, UNTIL THE END."

And with his words, she sped away.

To an unknown place that would never be far enough away. To an unknown place where no one would ever find her.

Not that anyone was willing to look for her.

Meanwhile... 4 a.m.
Blue Lock facilities

While all this was going on, inside the institution, the spirits of the adults were in turmoil.

"This could be your fault." said the man with black hair and heavy prescription frames, his face possibly paler than it already was.