Chapter Eighty Four

Începe de la început

They filed into the Marquess' carriage left waiting outside the townhouse as Damien gave Cap their destination.
They did not see the man who was pressed between the rose bushes against the house, who listened to Damien's exchange with the driver very closely.

*****

Arianna tried to keep her eyes on Will as they danced around the ballroom together, both of them waiting, gauging the ton's reaction to her adventurous tale. She could hear the words 'pirates' and 'duchess' making the rounds. Arianna wished her parents had accompanied them, as it seemed that most of the ton present were focused on the fact that the crew of the Green Eyed Lady had saved the long, lost Duchess of Marlborough. It was one thing to tell them, it would have been another to show them. Her mother's presence would have had a much larger impact. The room was abuzz, despite the Duchess' absence, parts of Arianna's tale being retold to those who had not been able to hear as well as others.

"You see, doll, it is all they can talk about, and by the looks being sent your way, I would say you have them in the palm of your hand." Will assured her.

There was one man in the room however, who did not choose to take her story at face value, and he was busy trying to discredit her accounting.

"Yes, well, one can not just take her word for it. You can see she has been through a harrowing experience. Too long in certain company, I would say." Nimford tried as he might to convince his cronies, however they had been taken in by her tale. It pleased them to believe the beauty over their friend, whom they knew to be a weasel and opportunist. They knew he aspired to a title not rightfully his.

Arianna and Will swept by Alfred and his friends. Her eyes were drawn to the scrawny man, as he was directing his beady eyes right at her. She smiled sweetly at him as his eyes narrowed, following her even after Will had swept her away, across to the other side of the room. Arianna could still feel Alfred's stare and she visibly shivered, trying to shake off the unsettling feeling his gaze left her with.

"He had hoped to inherit Trent's title, you know." Will told her, as the dance began winding down towards the end. "Some say the Marquess had even contemplated the idea."

"Truly? That is the Cousin Alfred the Marquess threatened Derek with?" Arianna looked stunned for a moment before her brows drew together. "I just cannot understand how they can be related. The Baron is so very different from Derek. I see no resemblance whatsoever; is that not a little bit strange?" She pointed out.

"Not if you saw Alfred's mother, dear sister. Imagine an even more pinched faced, sour version of the man you see before you." Will told her.

She looked to Alfred again, who was arguing with one of his friends, and he was not looking her way any longer. She took the opportunity to lead Will around, behind Alfred's group as the dance ended.

"I want to hear what he is saying, Will, let us move in a bit closer behind him." Arianna told Will quietly, under her breath.

Nimford was still trying to convince his peers, "I am sure we will find out soon enough, my friends, one way or another. Until I see my cousin or the wayward Duchess for myself, I will consider the tale a fabrication of an unbalanced mind." Alfred regaled to the other men standing around him, with a smug smile for his quick thinking.

Arianna stiffened and made to leave Will's side and give Alfred a piece of her 'unbalanced' mind, but Will held her in place. She looked up at him angrily and saw his eyes lifted to the grand staircase. A huge grin split his face and Arianna lifted her eyes also. Her heart took flight, beating as a hummingbird's wings, as her prayers were answered.

"The Duke and Duchess of Marlborough, The Marquess and Marchioness of Moonhurst!" Whitley announced with pride. He knew this was a great coup for his Lady, now that these guests had arrived, it would be the most talked about ball for years to come.