Chapter Eighty Four

Beginne am Anfang

He lifted the sack of stolen goods from the saddlebag and strode quickly into the building seeking the Monarch. Thomas knew he held the key to release the Lady's captain and the others, he just had to present it to the King first.

*****

Damien entered the foyer and asked William, "My wife sent you word? You know I come from the Tower?"

"Your wife came herself. She is with Kathleen in the parlor. Shall we join them?" William placed his hand on Damien's far shoulder and led him to where their wives waited. As the men came into the room, the women both stood, until their husbands approached them. Damien kissed his wife on the brow and helped her back to her seat, taking the one beside her as William took Kathleen's hand and sat next to her once again on the settee.

Damien began, "I only saw the King for a few moments, he allowed me a short visit with Derek, which did not end with his release." Amelia squeezed his hand, he looked to her and wished he had better news, news that would ease the frown marring her beautiful face. Damien looked back to William, "He is no longer being held for the kidnapping of your daughter, but for piracy alone, and I am not yet sure how we shall disprove the allegations." He told him.

"Why?" Kathleen spoke sharply, startling the men with her vehemence. "Why has the King not asked to speak to me?! Why have I sat there everyday, an eye account witness, yet not once has he asked to speak to me!"

They all wondered the same, but it was Amelia who spoke next, "What can we do? I for one, cannot just sit here, while my son resides in a cell rotting away for a crime based on lies! We need to do something!" She cried.

Damien patted her hand, "When I spoke to him, Derek's concern was not for himself. His most urgent concerns were for his Countess and his first mate. He was fine, my dear, just very worried for them." He assured her.

"His first mate?" Kathleen asked, "Why Alejandro? You do mean his crew, correct? I can understand his frustration at them all being dragged into this with him." Kathleen said.

"The crew is being held along with Derek for piracy. His first mate is being held for murder. None of the others are. It seems... Alejandro?" He looked to Kathleen, who nodded, her face stricken, "It seems Alejandro killed a defenseless man and is headed to the gallows."

"The hell if he is!" Kathleen jumped up and started pacing, "Marcus Bailey was lucky to have gotten the quick death Alejandro gave him. My sentence for him was much worse. The King will have to hang me first if he thinks he shall have a go at Alejandro." She turned to William, tears of anger and frustration in her eyes. "Help me, William, what shall I do?" Her voice broke as William folded her in his arms.

"You dry those tears, darling. I believe you and Amelia are correct. It is time for you to wage a war of a feminine nature." William told her.

She raised her hopeful eyes to his hard, steel grey visage. He assured her, "I have told you before, never fear, you are home and will be cared for now with all that I am. We will all stand for your good friend together, my dearest Kat." He stroked her brow, as his eyes drifted over her head to stare at the fireplace, the hard, piercing look remained. "I had wondered who had done the deed to Marcus Bailey and I envied him the privilege."

"Shall we begin our campaign immediately, Kathleen?" Amelia asked.

"Where is the Countess?" Damien asked.
"The Countess is with her brother at the Harrison's ball, and if I know Arianna, the campaign has already started. You lovely ladies are late." William answered both questions.

"Do you think we will be permitted without our formal attire?" Amelia asked.

"I am sure Lady Harrison would be pleased if we showed up in burlap sacks, let us not waste another moment and be on our way, shall we?" Kathleen said, as she moved to the door where Bentley materialized, holding the men's coats and the ladies' capes.