Chapter Eighty Three

Comenzar desde el principio

In answer, he rose from the floor and sat beside her, enfolding her into his arms. "Only if you will forgive me." He replied, pulling back to gaze into her amethyst eyes. "We have missed so much, Amelia, and I will have you know that I blame myself alone. You so captivated and ruled me, even as I knew I should fight against it, I allowed you put the distance between us. I thought there was no way you could ever love me as fiercely as I loved you, so I left you alone, thinking it was the least I could do for you after the fine son you had blessed me with. I was a fool, and so were you, if you ever thought I wanted another when I had you." He sifted her soft, shining, light locks through his fingertips, trailing his touch down her arm to once again clasp her hand gently within his own.

Amelia squeezed her eyes tightly shut for a second, feeling overwhelming relief at the forgiveness she knew she did not deserve. "We have a lot to make up for, Damien." She spoke in a tone that grabbed Damien's attention, and caused his heart to soar.

Amelia stood and held her hand out in supplication, Damien immediately took her cue and rose, looking at her closely to make sure he was not imagining her intentions. She smiled suggestively at him and that was all it took for her to be lifted up in his arms and carried up the staircase to the master's chambers where she now knew she belonged.

*****

Damien was asleep. Amelia lay beside him, cuddling up to her husband, for the first time in too many long, wasted years. She smiled coyly against his chest, thinking that some things never changed, as he had always been one to drift off to sleep immediately afterwards. It was comforting to know she had not lost all she had hoped for so long ago. Especially, she thought, after all the years she assumed she had never had his love. Thankfully, she had been wrong, and he had spent the better part of an hour worshiping her beauty and her body, showing her just how wrong she had been. Damien had loved her slowly, and reverently, and she had finally felt free to return every ounce of love he had given her. There should be no doubt in either of their minds that this was where they were meant to be.

Amelia rose carefully and quietly, hoping not to wake her slumbering husband, and walked around the masculine, imposing room as a new woman. A woman who had every right to be in this chamber, to look upon and touch his things. That thought brought a small, secretive smile to her lips as in the last hour she had touched plenty more than just his belongings.

At that thought, she looked back to the bed wondering how long he would sleep. Long enough for her to bathe and brush through her hair mayhap, she hoped, as she gazed upon her tousled reflection in his washstand mirror. Having been loved by him, well and truly, the thought of it continuing thrilled her, as she hoped there would only be more to come. Finding his shirt and donning it, Amelia walked through the adjoining dressing room to her own chamber where she rang for a maid to order up a bath. When her maid arrived, however, she appeared with a missive in hand. It bore the King's seal and was addressed to the Marquess. Amelia requested the water for her tub, and after the maid left to carry out her bidding, Amelia flew back to her husband's chambers and jumped on the bed excitedly. "Damien! Damien, my love, the King has sent you word." She woke him with kisses, planting them repeatedly on his handsome face.

Damien awoke, grabbing her gently he rolled with her to pin her underneath him. He nuzzled her neck, then lifted his head to kiss her thoroughly before growling at her, "If it were not for our son, madame, the King could go to... Perdition." A lazy, mischievous grin overtook his features before he kissed her again, then took the note from her hand upon his chest and read it aloud.

Availing himself of his wife's bathwater, the Marquess was out the front door within half of an hour in answer to the King's summons.

*****