Chapter 1 // To Boldly Go

Mulai dari awal

"Science Officer Cora Fleming reporting, Sir."

The Captain's seat swivels around to face me where I stand next to him. He makes eye contact and a welcoming grin spreads across his face.

"Welcome aboard, Miss Fleming. I am Captain James Kirk as I'm sure you're aware." As he says this, he reaches out for a handshake. "We can always use another science officer."

The chair turns to the left, and Kirk quickly scans the room. He frowns, before rapidly coming to some sort of realization.

"Some members of the bridge crew are on break at the moment, but you'll get to know everyone in time." Kirk sends another confident smile my way as I walk back up the steps.

"Lieutenant Uhura, miss" The woman at Coms, Uhura, greets me with a subtle wave. "I can already tell you're eager to get to work, but I would love to show you around tomorrow."

"Oh! That would be wonderful!"

After chatting some more with Uhura and meeting a few more members of the bridge crew, I enter the turbo lift. Uhura was right, I am ready to get started. That'll probably help ease my nerves; when I'm in my element, doing the scientific work that I love, I tend to be less self-conscious.

The lift stops prematurely, letting someone in blue step in. He walks in with his hands clasped behind his back, barely making eye contact before facing the entrance again.

"Science Labs"

Should I try to make conversation? He must be one of my colleagues- considering he's a blue shirt and is also on his way to the science floor- but he doesn't seem like much of a talker.

I take a second look at him, noticing the way his eyebrows end in sharp, upward strokes, and his ears in a pointed tip. Soft blue and purple eyeshadow accent his face and dark eyes. He's most likely a Vulcan... or a Romulan, based on the features. Though, given his cold, stoic poise, I'd have to say the former.

Without shifting his position, his eyes move to glance at me momentarily. We lock eyes and I quickly face the door again, embarrassed. Damn it, I shouldn't stare.

The silence turns from dull to awkward.

"So, uh..." I begin, and he tilts his head in my direction at the sound, eyes on me again. "Do you enjoy working on the Enterprise?"

One of his eyebrows quirks up. "I am here, and considering you are as well I find that to be self-explanatory, and, therefore, a trivial inquiry."

Wow.

Okay, he's either a Vulcan or an asshole.

I look back down at my feet. I feel him staring as the seconds tick by.

Wait... shouldn't the turbo-lift have opened by now? My eyebrows furrow together and I start looking around the lift. The man beside me seems to have come to a similar conclusion, and despite his emotionless exterior, seems to show a deeper sense of confusion.

"It appears the lift has stopped," He states, crossing his arms together in front of his chest.

"Damn it."

I groan, and move past him, setting my hands on the sliding doors.

"That would be unwise, considering the fact that we are currently in between floors."

Sighing, and I turn around. "And how can you be so sure?"

His hands return to their place behind his back.

"I had been standing in this lift for precisely forty-seven seconds before it stopped, and at its constant velocity of two-hundred and fifty feet per minute, that would put us at the space between decks five and six." He pauses, taking a few side steps towards me. "Meaning, that even if you could pry the automatic doors open, we would be faced with yet another practically impenetrable surface."