2

As promised, Ben brought Vera to the station later that day, and she rushed up the stairs, trying to find Andy, Ben struggling to keep up with her. Daisy was tucked under her arm, her neck trapped between her arm and her body.

Finally reaching the beanery, Vera paused when she saw Andy with the blonde woman, Maya, who gave her Daisy.

Maya's face broke into a smile, "Andy, you have a visitor." She said, and Andy turned around, her brow furrowed, but when her eyes fell on Vera, her face broke into a beautiful smile.

"Hello, cariño, how are you?" She asked, bending down to scoop her up. Vera didn't answer, instead wrapping her arms around tightly around Andy's neck, burrowing her face into her neck.

Ben watched the two, seeing how much love Andy held for the little Latina she held.

The older woman walked back to the kitchen island, setting Vera down on top of it, talking quietly with Vera, the girl happy to just listen to her talk, whilst Maya caught up with Ben.

Just then, the klaxon sounded, making Vera jump. "Aid Car 19." It then went on to say where it was needed, and Andy and Ben glanced at eachother.

"I can call Miranda to bring her to the hospital." Ben said, and Andy nodded, pulling down the T-shirt that Vera was wearing a little, "Maya, can you watch her?"

The blonde nodded, and Andy said something quietly to Vera, to which she nodded, her eyes a little sad.

The two left, Andy glancing behind her a few times. Soon enough, Miranda arrived, taking Vera and putting her in her car seat gently, before dropping her off and signing her in at the daycare.

"I will pick you up later, OK?" She said as she led Vera over to the colourful blocks.

She nodded, turning her attention warily to the other girl around her age, with a headful of blonde hair.

Miranda left, leaving Vera with the girl beside her. "Hi! My name is Ellis." She said, smiling brightly.

"My name is Vera." She said, her tone not matching the excitement of the girl beside her.

"Wanna play trains?"

Vera thought about it for a moment, before nodding. Ellis led her over to the table that contained the tracks and various differently sized colours of trains. Ellis taught Vera how to set the trains up so they wouldn't fall off the tracks and crash to the floor.

They played for a while, Miranda coming in a few times to check and make sure that Vera wasn't having a mental breakdown due to the amount of social interaction she would no doubt have to do, and she was pleased to see that she had made a friend.

"I think your daughter has befriended Vera." Bailey informed Meredith as she left, the younger woman watching her daughter through the window.

"I can see that. She's a cute kid, by the way." Meredith said, watching Ellis talk rapidly to Vera, the Latina girl trying to keep up with the story Ellis was creating.

"Yeah. She's really attached to Andy, actually." Bailey said, standing beside her past student.

"Well, didn't she save her from her abusive mother our something?" Meredith asked. Andy had called her the other night, wanting to know how she knew she wanted to adopt Zola, to  which she happily answered.

"Yeah, I gues that would make you pretty attached to someone." Bailey mumbled, agreeing. 

They stood there for a while, before they both had to leave for surgeries they had scheduled. When it came closer to lunch time, Ben arrived in the daycare to pick up Vera.