"If I know, Parker knows. Of course, the fact that Sara's name was in the vic's PDA might just be a coincidence." O'Malley added.

"Right."

"Hey. I figured you'd want to know."

She'd thanked him. He'd gone out of his way to call her on an untraceable line. He was still looking out for her. She owed him. After getting dressed, she booted up her computer and Googled the name "Derek Janowitz." Nothing popped up. She tried some of her other databases but came up cold. O'Malley said the kid worked at the gas station on Shermer in Northbrook. She should drive over.

Before she left, she called Kelly. He picked up right away. "Good morning, Davis," he bellowed cheerfully. "To what do I owe the honor of this call?"

She grunted. The dizziness was gone, but her head was still pounding, and his reedy voice didn't help. If they were face to face, she might have slugged him. Instead she told him what O'Malley said.

"Really? Now that is interesting. You're gonna follow up, right?"

Now she did want to slug him. "That's the plan."

"See if you can get me something by Thursday, okay?"

"Why Thursday?"

"Well, if you mosey on down to the courthouse around two, you'll find out."

"What's going on?"

"I filed a motion for a bail reduction for Cam Jordan."

"You did?"

"Three million dollars is obscene."

"That's great!" she replied. "I'm glad. That poor boy needs to get out. When do you-"

"Hold on, Davis," Kelly replied. "I wouldn't get your hopes up."

"Why not? We thought the fact that the hazing was out would make a difference."

He snorted amiably. "Not enough, I'm afraid."

"Then why-"

"I want to feel out the judge."

A wave of pain shot across her forehead. "I don't get it."

"There's no chance Cam Jordan's sister could pay ten percent of a hundred grand, much less a million, right?'

"Yeah..."

"So if the judge does lower it-even a little-then I know he's listening to what I got to say."

"And..."

"And I might go for a bench trial rather than a jury. But if he doesn't lower it, I know to take my chances on a jury. Capiche?"

"Capiche?" Last time she'd checked, Kelly was Irish.

"It's a figure of speech, Davis."

He pronounced figure "figgure." She sighed. "Good strategy."

"I think so, too," he said jovially. They made arrangements to meet outside the courtroom in Skokie on Thursday. After disconnecting, Georgia stared at the phone. She'd never heard him so happy. Had to be the Irish in him. He was gearing up for a fight.

***

Jerry Horner was stooped and had glasses that slipped down his nose. He wore a grimy uniform with "Jerry" on his shirt pocket and a faded gimme cap low on his forehead. When Georgia arrived, he was slouched in a corner of the garage in an reclining leather chair so old there were more cracks than material. He had to be in his sixties, but right now he was staring fearfully around like a kid who'd been separated from his mother.