Chapter 32

HER CASE was heating up. Matt continued to tail her up and down the North Shore. To Burhops, the courthouse, even to Mickey's, where she had dinner with her neighbor. He checked out the guy later; a state bureaucrat. Probably nothing to do with her case. He read the reports about Ramsey, and he wondered if the State's Attorney's recusal had anything to do with her work.

Things were heating up for him, too. Especially after he reported how she'd tailed the Walcher girl to the health club. Matt wasn't part of the inner circle, but he noticed several closed-door meetings between Lenny and his employer, and when the man wasn't in conference, he was on the phone. Then, a few days ago, Lenny disappeared. Just up and left. R&R, his employer said; the guy needed a break. Just a coincidence that Lenny took off right after the kid who worked at the gas station was killed. The one she visited.

With Lenny gone his employer was pressing Matt. Calling his cell ten times a day, demanding to know where she was and who was she talking to. He knew better than to ask why, but he sensed something had shifted. Intensified. He started to watch more carefully, measured every word, alert for clues, subtle mood shifts, even double entendres.

He wasn't sleeping well. The stress was getting to him. But this was his gig—he'd wanted it. Except this time he was flying solo. There were no rules, no guidelines about what to do when. He wondered how he'd perform when they gave him a job that required more than surveillance. He needed to come through. He had a feeling he knew what that job was going to be. And he couldn't let his personal feelings get in the way.