Chapter 9: The Demon and The Rat

Author's Note: Hey everyone!! Get ready for 2 chapters tonight! Thanks for all the patience and I'm so excited to where this story is heading :)

Before Sukuna realized it, he found himself drawn to the manor with increasing regularity. He justified these visits to himself as a matter of unfinished business, although deep down, he was acutely aware that there was little left for him to inspect to fulfill the stepmother's contractual demands. Yet, the pull was undeniable, a routine he couldn't break.

Intriguingly, he often found himself searching for a particular blonde figure amid the sprawling estate. And when he did spot Cinderella, an inexplicable instinct compelled him to observe her from a discreet distance, sometimes even prompting him to conceal himself hastily. An inner voice scoffed at this covert behavior, questioning the rationale behind his secrecy.

One day, as he wandered the gardens, vexed by his inability to locate Cinderella, he crossed paths with the stepmother. She strolled gracefully, surrounded by servants, wielding a black and purple parasol adorned with glistening rubies. Sukuna couldn't help but chuckle inwardly at the stark contrast between her malevolent presence and the delicate beauty of the garden. The blossoms and blooms seemed out of place in her villainous orbit, but there was someone else who would complement this serene setting, a nagging thought tugging at the recesses of his mind.

His eyes widened as he grappled with his thoughts, questioning his own motives. "What am I thinking?" he muttered, lost in contemplation. His introspection was so consuming that he failed to notice the stepmother's presence until her affectedly humble voice intruded upon his musings.

The stepmother inquired, "Mighty Sukuna, may I ask what brings you to this humble garden of mine?" Sukuna's realization of his failure to maintain his butler persona snapped him back to attention. He was wary of the stepmother probing his motivations, especially in regard to Cinderella's soul, about which even he remained uncertain.

With a quick response, Sukuna explained, "You may not be aware, but there are many individuals within your employ who serve as informants for other houses. Rats are everywhere." His words were a fabrication, albeit not entirely inaccurate, yet his underlying desire was to find a pretext to prolong his stay.

The stepmother, blissfully unaware of Sukuna's true intentions, praised his legendary reputation. She entertained the idea of seeking more from their arrangement, perhaps even aspiring to claim the throne. But before she could articulate this ambition, Sukuna turned to depart, leaving her to ponder the extent of her willingness to sacrifice for greater power.

Sukuna continued his garden stroll, finally encountering the object of his subconscious quest. There, amidst a riot of blooming flowers, stood Cinderella, her blonde hair cascading like golden threads. She twirled gracefully, singing a lilting melody, captivating not only Sukuna but also a curious assembly of birds.

As he observed her dance with avian companions, he marveled at her tattered dress that seemed to waltz with the wind's gentle caress. Her voice, like satin, carried through the air as she serenaded the birds, extending her delicate hands in harmony with the avian ensemble. Sukuna was struck by a yearning he had not recognized until now – the longing to hear her sing once more.

He closed his eyes, basking in the warmth of the sun on his face, allowing the garden's sensory symphony to envelop him. The fragrance of the blossoms, the faint hum of insects, and the caress of the sun-kissed breeze conspired to create a moment of unparalleled serenity. When he reopened his eyes, they were met with the radiance of Cinderella's golden locks and her infectious smile.

Sukuna stood transfixed, pondering the enigma before him. How could a girl who resided in a decrepit room, showering with a bucket and toiling endlessly, radiate such brightness? What confounded him even more were the thoughts that had insidiously invaded his mind. These thoughts, he couldn't escape – a transformation within himself, a connection he had never anticipated.