The Rails (4.3k)

•Written September 2023•

Summary:
A floor test leads to Khun getting what he's been dreaming of for ages. It's just a bit of a bumpy ride to get there. (Slightly cracky compared to the last one).

̶Y̶e̶̶s̶ ̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶ ̶t̶̶i̶̶t̶̶l̶̶e̶ ̶i̶̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶̶a̶̶d̶ ̶p̶̶u̶̶n̶ (̶i̶̶n̶ ̶t̶̶w̶̶o̶ ̶w̶̶a̶̶y̶̶s̶!). ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶o̶̶n̶̶l̶̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶̶i̶̶t̶̶t̶̶l̶̶e̶ ̶b̶̶i̶̶t̶ ̶s̶̶o̶̶r̶̶r̶̶y̶. ̶T̶̶i̶̶t̶̶l̶̶e̶̶s̶ ̶a̶̶r̶̶e̶ ̶h̶̶a̶̶r̶̶d̶.

Content Warning for brief, unserious mention of suicide and explicit sexual content.

If you would like to not read the explicit section, you can skip from the ❥ to the ❥‖ symbol (the end mark will always be at the beginning of a paragraph to make it easier to spot).

_______________________________________

They all gathered, waiting to hear what they would have to do to pass the test on this floor. By now they knew better than to expect anything simple, as the tests only seemed to give them more grief the higher up the Tower they went.

The administrator extended an arm, with a glowing blue orb resting in the palm of their hand. "Channel shinsu into this orb."

There was a short silence as they all waited for the administrator to go on.

"That's...it?" Shibisu finally asked. "Is it shinsu resistant or something?"

The administrator smiled. "No."

All of them were suspicious, but Endorsi gamely stepped forward first and put her hand on it, channelling in shinsu.

"If more of my sisters are sent to kill us, I'm not as confident about our chances as I'd like to pretend," her voice rang out, and her eyes widened as she yanked her hand away.

"What the fuck was that?!" she demanded, looking furious and embarrassed, and trying to cover that embarrassment over with even more fury.

"The reason you may not be able to continue climbing the Tower, of course," the administrator answered serenely. "You have passed. Will anyone else step forward?"

Aguero scowled. So it was like this, then. It was hardly a test at all. Anyone determined to continue climbing would most certainly do it and pass without a struggle, but it could be invaluable for information gathering, particularly against those who were seen as a threat to the Tower.

One by one they stepped forward, and Aguero dawdled in the back, attempting to put his off until the last minute, but Bam stubbornly pushed him forward, insisting on going last himself.

The problem was, Aguero wasn't entirely sure what his answer would be. It was possible it could be multiple things, but everybody else had only given one, so he was betting he would be blurting out whatever was the biggest. Except he wasn't sure what the was. He didn't know how to judge that; it could very well be related to Jahad, or FUG and Rachel, or it could be—

"If Bam finds out how badly I want him to raw me into next week," he blurted out as soon as he touched the orb.

Everyone's eyes went wide, staring at him, absolutely dumbstruck.

He closed his own eyes briefly and took a deep breath. "Actually, I think I'll just go back down to the thirty fifth floor and throw myself in front of the Hell Train," he said, with no inflection.

He felt Bam step up behind him and reach to place a hand on the orb next to his, which he still hadn't removed.

"If Khun dies because of me, or gives up on me," he said quietly, and removed his hand again, gently pushing against Aguero's back to make him step forward past the administrator. "Are we done now?"