16|Sweetest Sin

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

"If I were to kiss you then go to hell, I would

would. So then I can brag with the devils
I saw heaven without ever entering it."
-William Shakespeare
᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

"Okay, I got it, you're running away from a circus where you were forced to sing for the crowds," Mi-Sun exclaimed, she had folded her legs so her feet rested on her knees with the reins of her ostrichhorse in her hands on her lap.

Akemi, finally dressed in Earth Kingdom, garb pulled at one of her detached sleeves. A faint smile played on her lips and she shook her head. "No," She murmured, tilting her hair back to gaze up at a flying bird. Akemi's jet-black hair hung loose around her seeing as she hadn't bothered to pin it all up.

"No to what? The singing or the circus?" Mi-Sun pressed on, she narrowed her eyes at the side of Akemi's face. When the younger girl didn't elaborate, Mi-Sun sighed audibly. "Or are you a runaway bride?" Mi-Sun laughed at her own suggestion but didn't miss the slight tension that built in Akemi's shoulders or the hardening of those pretty gold eyes. And so the Earth Kingdom woman cleared her throat. "I got it, you are an acrobat, that must be it." Mi-Sun nodded assuringly and leaned back against the wood of her caravan.

"An acrobat?" Akemi frowned and whipped her head to the side to look at Mi-Sun who was smiling just so purely. The frown wavered and Akemi cleared her throat. "Ye-yeah, something like that," She finally said. Suddenly aware of how her arm brushed against Mi-Sun's, she shuffled a bit to the right and away from Mi-Sun. Akemi neatly folded her hands together on her lap, back straight and face hardened. Mi-Sun allowed her gaze to follow the lines of Akemi's face, the corners of her mouth pulling further upward.

The sun reflected off of the sea and Akemi eyes the horizon mournfully. Beyond that line was her lost homeland, she wondered if she could remember her home very well. Would the waters of Ember Island still call for her, the turtleduck pond still calm her, would the flaming food scorch her mouth... It had been so long since Akemi had been in the Fire Nation. Last time had been at the temple, but that hardly counted since her company was not an ally and she hadn't had the time to appreciate her ground.

Even if Aang failed, Akemi yearned to return to her previous home. Even if it was only to see the floating lanterns for Obon. The first year that Akemi and her family celebrated after Lu Ten's death, Akemi nearly refused to light a lantern for him. She didn't want him to leave, whatever was left of Lu Ten she would take, even if it were just his lost soul that had wandered home. It had been Ozai who convinced her to do so, claiming that letting Lu Ten return to his grave was the best thing for the boy. Fallen souls deserved a final resting place, especially ones who had died for their country. Ozai had held the lantern for Akemi and they had lit it together before she waded into the water so it would drift off and guide Lu Ten.