12|The North Pole

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

"Let me sit here, on the threshold of two worlds

of two worlds. Lost in the eloquence
of silence." ~Jalalud'din Rumi
᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

The attack on the Northern Water Tribe had begun, Akemi and Zuko worked on keeping a low profile as they hid in the ship. They were luckily not assigned any deck duties and so stuck to their cabins and engine room. For now they managed to keep a low profile. The first day of attack flew by and twilight neared, halting the Fire Nation attacks.

Akemi sat in her room, the tiny window high on the wall allowed her to glimpse at the nearly full moon. In her hands she clutched her porcelain dragon in her hands. She pulled her amber gaze from the moon to settle it on the small statue in her possession. Gently her fingers traced over the dragon's mane.

The girl closed her eyes and let out a sigh, black hair loose around her as a curtain. Akemi pressed a small kiss to the dragon and pulled back slightly. "What would you do?" Her voice was barley a whisper, so soft that she herself barley heard it. A question meant only for the ears of a certain dead soldier.

The Fire Nation girl slipped off of her seat easily, the uncomfortable weight of her betrothal brooch gone. Never would she be allowed back into the Fire Nation, Ozai would never allow it not after what she had done.

"Traitor!"

The Fire Nation princess looked back to see a young boy standing in a doorway. His parents desperately dragged him out of Akemi's sight.

Akemi braided her hair back and pulled a white tunic over her head.

Akemi didn't get far before Zeref grabbed hold of her topknot and yanked her back. Akemi spun while raising her leg, slamming it into Zeref's chest as her hair fell around her freely in a wild black cloud.

◇◆◈◆◇

Smoke curled up into the night sky. Yue and Katara stood side by side, their gazes fixed on the hundreds of Fire Nation ships that littered the horizon. "They've stopped firing," due breathed out in relief.

Just then Hang came flying towards them. "Aang!" Katara exclaimed as her friend raced towards her. Due to the sheer exhaustion however, Aang didn't land properly and nearly collapsed into a heap on the floor.

The young boy let out a shaky breath, hands gripping his bald head. "I can't do it ... I can't do it," he muttered, shaking his head.

Meanwhile the two Water Tribe girls dropped to their knees around him, Katara resting a tentative hand on Aang's shoulder. "What happened?" She coaxed.