5th chapter / Meeting for the first time, again

Sonic needed to get some food from the grocery store. He couldn't live off of nothing, after all.

(A while ago, he would've loved to eat chili dogs. But now, they only reminded him of his youthful days, which brought sad feelings when thought about.)

--

In a way, he was glad the world forgot about him. He was glad he looked different from his adventurous days. 

People left him alone. And he was glad.

--

Sonic waited impatiently in the checkout line. Even after all these years, he still couldn't wait long for anything.

In observing the store, he thought he saw a familiar face. But it couldn't be... he was dead.

Sonic looked closer, and it did seem to indeed be him. He had the same roller skates--or air shoes, as he would call it. 

Even though he thought it was risky, Sonic just had to see who this was. He decided to step out of line and advance toward the figure.

--

Shadow couldn't choose between Murt's Extravagant Coffee Beans or the originals when he heard footsteps approach.

He turned around.

It was... Sonic?

Where did he get that name from?

"Uh." 

Sonic--or whatever their name is--asked, "...Shadow?"

How did he know my name?

"Who told you that name?" Shadow blurted.

"Oh my chaos... Is it really you...?" 

The blue hedgehog in front of him looked to be on the verge of tears. 

Why is this stranger crying?

"What-What do you mean?"

"I thought you died..." 

Died? I'm not dead. I think this guy's crazy.

"Sonic, I think you're overre--" Shadow stopped himself before he went further.

WHO is 'Sonic'? This stranger must think he's the crazy one now.

"Shadow, I missed you so much, you have no idea--"

"I think you've got the wrong person--"

"What? You said my name."

So 'Sonic' is his name... How did I know that? 

The words "I've found you, Faker!" echoed in the back of his mind. He had to leave, this was all too much...

"I've got to go, sorry--!" 

Shadow dashed away. 

His shoes' engines turned on and propelled him forward.

My shoes have never turned on, what the fuck is happening?

--

No this is not shipping sonadow. while I may like sonadow, this is purely platonic.