Chapter Thirty-Four

There certainly was a notion for dramatics when it came to the pure-blooded side of the wizarding world. For funerals especially if it was for someone of high status and matching dislike the effects seem to be bigger than necessary.

    All around the Vernise castle, big black drapes and candles littered and decorated the various rooms. The dining hall's chairs were removed and along the table, an assortment of foods sat lined up and down on either side.

    Lania noticed her grandfather was nowhere to be found, his body most likely harbored up in her grandmother's quarters. And speaking of her grandmother, she was an actress at heart. The black, traditional, mourning gown. Black lace, fringes, petticoats, and a veil cast over her face to hide the "sorrow".

    Greeted with respect by all the families that came to gather at the Vernise residence.  The Malfoy's, Nott's, Rosiers, Blacks, Parkinsons, Lestranges, the Pucy's, and the Spinnets. Not all of the sacred twenty-eight were there (a select number of wizarding families with pure wizard blood for heritage). However, there was enough that it would be the talk of the wizarding world for awhile.

    Lania was dressed in her own black gown. Adorned with her horcrux, golden earrings, her signature 'V' broach, and now her engagement ring fitted perfectly around her silk gloves. She didn't wear a vail, but she didn't need to attempt to cover the lack of emotion. Everyone in the wizarding world knew of her fate. Everyone hated her mother for it.

Tom was dressed in his own black suit and was with Lania the whole time. As the families arrived with their children the Slytherin students flocked together on one side of the room as the parents flocked to the other. The clear division between the generations present.

    "My goodness, Lania," Kathleen ogled her ring, "It's beautiful."

    The whole of the coven was there besides Livia. But, Lania's grandmother would never invite the Snape family. Livia would be the first for her heritage in a while to earn some respect. Right now, however - they were compared to the half-bloods. And since status was such a big issue, Livia wasn't able to come.

    Arianne smiled, taking her hand and pulling it up to inspect the ring, "And here I thought you would never get married."

    "Oh don't be daft Arianne. She and Riddle are the equivalent of soulmates." Kathleen scolded lightly.

    Arianne nodded her head though, letting Lania take her hand back to look at her engagement ring herself. Truly, she was very happy. Tom gave her something she could never have with someone else and marrying him was the right thing for her.

    Walburga had been offly silent though. It bugged Lania how she stared at the ring. How unfair this had to be, for her to be unfairly married off to her cousin who flocked to the boys, but also to never get a chance at the real love Lania had found.

    "Walk with me," Lania whispered to Walburga, holding out her arm.

Her friend took her arm, and Lania led her through the large archways to a small benched window. A window where the two girls spent a lot of time together as young girls.

    Lania watched Walburga's expression, she was still looking at the ring. No words, no emotion, just the ring and an empty stare.

    "You haven't said much." Lania began.

    Walburga's eyes flickered to her before eyeing the window, "No, I suppose I haven't."

    "Do you have anything to say?"

    "A lot."

    Lania wanted her to say something. To scream at the unfairness of their lives. To congratulate her, to warn her, to argue with her, just to say something. Anything.

"I'm happy for you, Lania. Do not think I'm upset," Walburga began, "But, it is not something I expected yet. Although your grandmother probably has influence in this decision."

    Lania knew it was hard for her. To not be given the option. Whereas Lania was given the option. Though, it was the strength of Walburga to be happy that is what reigned in Lania's respect. The fact that she wanted to be there for her rather than push her away.

    "You know you mean more to me than most, even if I cannot love," Lania said.

    Walburga smiled at her, a genuine smile. One that told Lania she really wasn't mad at her. That Walburga did truly support her. And that, in the deepest of Lania's soul meant more to her than anything else in the world.

    "Will you be my maid of honor?" Lania whispered.

    Walburga stared at her. Then laughed. A loud, life-inducing, captivating laugh. Then she smiled again, but brighter. Lania knew. She knew exactly what she would say.

    "Yes. Of course, you're my best friend." Walburga replied.

    Lania smiled at that. Truly, to have Walburga with her at the altar meant more to her than anything in the world. Marrying Tom meant a lot to her on its own, but having her best friend there made it more special and worth it.

    "We should probably get back," Walburga breathed, "Before they think we ditched them."

    Lania laughed, "Well we did ditch them."

"It's your mother's celebration of life-"

    "Oh please," Lania waved her away, "She never had one to begin with."

    Walburga laughed out loud once more before taking Lania's arm and walking with her back to the "celebration". However, once they walked in Lania was quickly pulled from her grasp into her grandmother's side and tossed over to where Tom was close next to her.

    Lania stumbled into Tom's arm as he caught her waist and steadied her as the room fell silent to her grandmother's words.

    "Today, we celebrate the life of my daughter - Jupiter. Some of you may remember her as a bright girl who fell to a sad end. Her death impacts my family very much. However, if I knew Jupiter, I knew that my daughter wanted to see her own daughter get married. So for that reason, I am proud to announce that my granddaughter, Lania Olivera Vernise, is engaged to Tom Marvolo Riddle."

The gasps took over the room in silence before cheers and claps rounded through the halls. People began to bombard the couple with congratulations and doting compliments on the ring Tom had chosen for her.

    Lania knew - she knew her grandmother would do this. However, no matter how hard she wanted to resent the attention, she thrived in it. Marking her face and showing the maturity in her eyes. Solidifying any connections - the particular interest in a group of wives she had a feeling her mother associated with.

    She was beginning to resent her grandmother for a true reason other than her grandfather being a dead corpse kept unalived in the Vernise Castle, however, she needed to know more before her thoughts that kept drifting to another Horcrux solidified in her mind.

    Until then, however, the process of becoming animagus would commence. Then she could start planning a wedding for after they're seventh year. And then, she could focus on her plans for after Hogwarts. And for after what she wanted to do. Truly these were the moments that mattered because soon, it came down to right and wrong.

    And Lania didn't like being wrong.