ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ¹⁰⁷

A few metres below, Y/n roughly fell onto some platform and groaned in pain. She pushed herself up to look around, in awe and confusion of her surroundings.

Peeking her head over the edge, her eyes widened upon seeing the sight below which looked like it came straight out of a surrealism painting.

It was a seemingly bottomless pit with random objects and structures floating weightlessly around in a gentle cyclone. Objects ranging from random chairs and vases, to paintings and potted plants and everything in between. Few of these were left intact, however.

Many, many rooms and staircases all spiraled towards the bottom she couldn't see. It broke her brain trying to comprehend the confusing architecture that didn't make sense nor was it functional in any way.

She had to remind herself that she was probably in some dream world and shouldn't waste her energy trying to make sense of it.

Y/n's eyes frantically scanned the various objects and debris, trying to find the silver-haired oni who had fallen before her.

"Shortie! Down here!" She looked down to see Itto hanging onto a table that was floating just below her.
"Itto! Are you okay?"
"Yeah!" With effort, he pulled himself up to lay on the table and rolled onto his back to look up at her with a nervous grin.

"Fancy seeing you here." He chuckled at his attempt of a joke and Y/n quickly ducked her head again, realizing just how far the drop would be if she were to fall.

"You alright, Shortie?" Itto queried when he caught sight of her queasy face. "It's really high..." Itto recalled seeing Y/n grow uneasy when high above the ground and concluded that she may have a fear of heights.

Itto craned his head up and looked around in search of something. "Hey, uh, where's your dad?" When asked that, Y/n seemed to snap out of it and sat up to look round again.

She cupped her hands around her mouth and called out, "Daaaad?!" She heard a response from somewhere a little higher than her. "Up here, Y/n." She looked up and saw him sitting on one of the random staircases along the side of this pit.

He was clutching tightly onto his side and Y/n immediately took notice. "You okay?" She asked him with worry and it took him a moment to respond, taken aback by her concern.

"I-I'm alright, kiddo..."
    He seemed hesitant to continue, "And your uh, friend? The oni - is he still alive?" He asked and she blinked at him, his apparent concern surprising her. Here she thought D/n disliked him. There was hope for Itto, after all.

"Yeah. He's just a little further down." Y/n explained and a look of what she thought might've been relief briefly crossed his aged features. "Ah. I see."

"Is that your dad?" Itto asked aloud as he heard Y/n talking to someone else. She peered down, having to play messenger between the two.
   "Yeah, he's okay." She replied and Itto visibly relaxed against the table he laid on, mimicking a starfish. "Phew! I got worried for a second!"

"Where's the–" Before she could get the words out, the floor – or more accurately in their situation – the ceiling above them began to shake violently like before.

The wood snapped in places as if something heavy threatened to fall through and splinters of planks started falling from above. Y/n had to move to the side to avoid a falling floorboard.

"Look out below!" She cautioned Itto who had backhanded one of the larger planks aside before it could hit him. "Thanks for the heads-up!" He thanked her as he sat up.

Y/n looked over at her father who was safe where he was but his eyes widened as he looked at something above her, "WATCH OUT!"

Her gaze followed his and a mass of shadows began to descend above her. It had many translucent limbs with which it used to lower itself. At it's ventral side, there was something resembling a head. It split horizontally and revealed a gaping mouth that could swallow her up whole.