ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ¹⁰⁵ (edited)

Itto's eyes shot wide open and he gave the injured man a once over.
"Wait, what?"

The Overseer's own expression had softened as he looked at her.
    "Y/n... It is you." His voice was quiet as he continued to observe his daughter's features. They weren't as youthful as he remembered.

"Your dad– Shortie's dad... Oh crap, I punched your dad in the face." Y/n paid no mind to Itto's ramblings. In front of her stood her father, the man she's grown to hate over the years for abandoning his family.

"You're... You've grown." The Overseer – her father – said as his eyes continued to shift to every detail on her face.

Y/n gave her father another once-over, trying to comprehend this new revelation.
    There was no denying it. The man who stood before her was her father, the man she hadn't seen in years yet she could immediately tell it was him.

After a moment of her taking in his aged features, absorbing the sight of man that had been missing from her life for years, her thoughts became a turbulent tide of emotions. She had a million questions. She blindly grasped at one in particular and said,
   "You're working with the Fatui?!" Y/n angrily confronted her father. After everything they had done, she couldn't comprehend how someone like her father could join them willingly.

D/n seemed to have a look of guilt and struggled to maintain eye contact with his one and only daughter. The atmosphere had become thick with emotion, rendering him at a loss for words.

After all this time, what could one say in his situation? Similarly to his daughter, he struggled to find his words before carefully speaking,
      "A lot has happened. I... I can't say I'm proud of it. You probably won't be believe me when I say I had no other choice." His tone altered to one of pleading as his eyes searched hers.

Y/n scoffed upon hearing his words, "No choice, he says... Sure. Just what the hell have you been up to?" She threw her hands up, "You know what? I don't care."

Her response was ice cold. Even Itto flinched at her tone. He placed a hand on her shoulder, glancing between her and her father as he thought of a response that wouldn't make her more upset than she already was.

"Take it easy. I know he's done a bunch of bad stuff but maybe hear him out?" He sounded unsure and hoped the message came across.

Y/n was about to argue when he calmly explained himself, "Look, you were able to give me a second chance, do the same for your old man."
"It's not the same, you weren't the one who–"
"Shortie." His tone was resolute, effectively preventing her from saying more.

Itto's gaze almost immediately softened again, almost as if he felt guilty for being firm with Y/n but he knew she wouldn't listen otherwise.

"He's the only dad you got..." Itto's gaze was empathetic as he tried to convince Y/n to allow her father to explain himself.

She shrugged his hand off her shoulder and she glared at her father. "How can I after everything he's done?" Her eyes narrowed when she remembered her discovery in his office.

"It was you. The letter we found in your office, YOU killed Uncle Kaito. How could you...?" Her fists quivered as anger encapsulated her entire being.

He could only stare sadly at her, unable to formulate an immediate response. He, too, knew to be careful with his words. One wrong thing and she'll shut down completely and taking his chance of ever reconnecting with his daughter with it.

"So? What is it? What's your reason for that?!" Her voice was steadily rising to a shout, "You're a murderer! And who knows how many more there are! Nothing you say can justify killing your own br—"
"It was for YOU!"