(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 58 Hunter

Start from the beginning

The moment they arrived at the complex mesh of back roads, the thirty-something assassins dispersed. They would surround the building where their enemy stood. First-tier adventurer though he was, he could be taken down by only one hit from their cursed weapons, his death inevitable. A few sacrificial explosions of their own would do the trick. As would their synchronicity. And once he was injured, they would attack, as swift and sure as the early-summer rain, taking down the wolf in the process. Yes, they were certain of their victory. Only...

Assassin:...? The howl, it...?

The unique pitch of the lupine cry seemed to change—and, in an instant, a foreboding chill washed over the group. It was almost as if the wail of searing fury had morphed into a sort of inhuman melody, as cold and merciless as the moon overhead. Those amber eyes seemed to be staring down at each one of them, even though they were scattered among the streets. All of a sudden, the wolf was gone.

Assassins: ?!

And in that moment came an agonized shriek from one of their kin

And in that moment came an agonized shriek from one of their kin. Killed. In less than an instant. By a set of fangs plunging onto the ruined streets. The silent flock of assassins didn't have so much as a chance to tremble in shock before there was another scream, followed by the earsplitting roar of a wolf. Like thunder, it shrieked through the shadow, almost as though the previously hidden wolf was reasserting his presence.

Assassins(mind): H-how...?

How were they supposed to stop him like this? They needed to see through both sets of eyes: the hunter and the hunted. The werewolf had the years of experience in his tribe to rely upon, making him a natural-born hunter. What's more, he had chosen the path of the adventurer in his quest for strength. But today, just today, Bete had forgone all that, reverting back to his roots and the wild wolf who lived inside him.

 But today, just today, Bete had forgone all that, reverting back to his roots and the wild wolf who lived inside him

—Their enemy was a true-blooded alpha wolf.

For the first time, these supposedly emotionless magic bullets, these assassins who were trained to remain calm in even the direst of circumstances, found their breath coming with shudders of horror. The pinpricks on their skin were enough of a warning that this was a hunter more skilled than even them, and that thought gripped them with fear.