17. Someone You Loved

Start from the beginning

"I'll write to you the first chance I get," Joseph smiles, "I promise."

Winifred stares at him restlessly. It feels stranger saying goodbye today than it has other times — knowing what he has told her, she almost feels awful for seeing him off to a battlefield when she is well-aware of the conditions he will have to live in.

Perhaps sensing her worry, Joseph adds: "Wars don't last forever, darling."

"I know," she murmurs.

"I'll be back before you know it... and then you will see so much of me, you'll get sick of just the sight of me."

     Winifred lets out a feeble chuckle. As always, he is trying to get a smile out of her. Without another word, she pulls him to her chest and rises into her tip-toes to hug him. Her arms curve perfectly around Joseph's shoulders and she is trying to remember this feeling, amongst others; the way he smells, the movement of his muscles under his skin, the warmth of his breath tickling her hair, the imprint of his hands cradling the small of her back. She knows she will need to memorise every detail she can — who knows how long he might be gone for?

Finally, retracting slightly, Winifred holds his face in her hands, smoothing her thumbs over his ruddy cheeks. They could stand here forever if they could choose to.

"I love you," she says.

"I love you back," whispers Joseph.

His words land in a murmur on her lips, followed by his own, in a goodbye kiss that seems to last forever. Something for the both of them to hold onto. Winifred lands back onto her feet, gently pulling away from the kiss. But instead, Joseph is now hugging her again, her temple nudged against his chin; she can feel a light stubble beginning to grow.

"Go on, now," Winifred chuckles, after he sneaks in one more peck on the lips.

Joseph takes a deep breath, his lips thinned into a genial smile. He glances over his wife's shoulder and his brows slant into a sympathetic look. "Dry your eyes, Ellen! I will be back at Highbourne tracking mud across the floor before you know it!"

From behind, there is something between a laugh and a sob. Winifred turns around, seeing all of their household staff stood on the step seeing him off — Ellen may be the one blubbering most openly, but she is certainly not the only misty-eyed one there. The chambermaid quickly reaches for Mrs. Blyton's apron and dabs at her eyes, before the housekeeper sternly yanks the apron away again.

Then his attentions are back on Winifred. He seems tempted for another kiss or one more embrace, but she simply pats his chest and takes a step back. The longer he stays, the harder it will be. Joseph understands immediately. Wrapping her shawl tighter around her, she watches her husband mount his horse, the saddle equipped with his bags and rolled-up blankets. With a gentle nod to Winifred, Joseph gently nudges the horse into action, the two of them cantering out of the gates and down the road.

At first, she only stands by the gates. But two steps back to the front door, Winifred freezes. She finds herself turning on her heel and hurrying back out and into the road — he is still in sight. Unbeknownst to Joseph, his wife stays in the road and catches the remaining glimpse of him she can. He seems to be gazing up at the trees in innocent admiration, and she smiles to herself. For a minute his youthful awe about the world makes a return. Winifred keeps her eyes on his back turned to her, his bright red uniform, the warm tones of his hair on this cloudy, overhanging January morning...