INTRODUCTION

TURNING PAGE
( bridgerton )

TURNING PAGE(   bridgerton   )

there are as many forms of loveas there are moments in time

as there are moments in time.
MANSFIELD PARK

.·:·.⟐.·:·.

MANY WOULD AGREE THAT WINIFRED ERSTWHILE WAS MOST MISFORTUNATE. For what she thought would be forevermore, she had settled into a life of marital bliss with her husband, Joseph Erstwhile — their love match was a rare sight to behold. There was nothing Winifred relished more than the steadiness of their life in the countryside, finding his warmth on the other side of the bed. Not for one second, when each time her beloved soldier goes overseas, does she expect the worst to happen.

     All it takes is one letter from Madrid to shatter all of that; one letter regrettably informing her of Joseph's death on the battlefield.

     Now Winifred spends her days drenched in black crepe, coming to terms with her new life without Joseph. The new widow becomes subject to the judgements of others, who have their own ideas of how she should be mourning — all she feels is numbness. Winifred does all she can think of doing, by pushing on stoically through the hollow, mundane everyday. She will not crumble. Not if she can help it. And, if there is anything she is sure of, she will not remarry (if she should feel so inclined one day) for anything less than true, deep love.

Regardless, none of her efforts remove the sting of her loss, leaving Winifred quietly fighting the fleet of questions that rage inside. Who is she, in this world, without Joseph Erstwhile? Where does she go from here? And when does it stop hurting?

As she does, the universe proposes its own answer to all of this: her gentle easing back into social life one year after Joseph's death, via her younger sisters, whose ongoing searches for suitors pull Winifred into the orbit of the magnificent ton and the Bridgertons — specifically, that of the second best Bridgerton brother...