17. Someone You Loved

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.
someone you loved.

.·:·.⟐.·:·.

1813.

     THE MONTHS THAT FOLLOWED HAD BEEN UNLIKE ANY OTHER. Winifred felt like she was meeting Joseph all over again, as he told her all the things he had been too proud or afraid to say. He told her about his experiences on the battlefield — including some of the more grisly details, this time — and she finally knew the stories behind new scars he came home with.

With a new openness in their relationship, they had treasured the time they had before Joseph's departure. Every moment they did have together, they made the most of. They could laugh together again, go for walks in all their favourite places again. At night, they fell asleep after conversations that kept them up for far too long. Then there was the wonderful Christmas they had with Winifred's family — they spent Boxing Day at Heyworth House and danced, played games and recounted fond memories around the fireplace. Joseph had told her afterwards that he would take the good times they shared that day with him to Madrid. She had thought the very same, only for something to keep her company while he was gone.

Through all of it, Winifred felt as though she had re-gained not only her husband, but her friend too.

But now it is January, and is time for him to go.

This morning had started like every morning when Joseph has left. Winifred's stomach is tied in knots of nerves, anticipating his absence. The 'going away' is almost worse than him actually being away. At least she has established her own routine when he is actually gone, even if she misses him terribly. But before breakfast, they had laid in bed together for as long as they could manage, not letting the other one go just yet. It has hardly made saying goodbye any easier.

There is a light frost coating the blades of grass on that day. Winifred steps out with a shawl wrapped around her torso, even if it isn't quite enough to keep her warm. Joseph is dressed smartly in his red uniform again — although he looks much older than that boisterous boy she met all those years ago. Nevertheless, he carries himself as he always does, head held high as he gets ready to set off. His valet holds his horse ready by the open gates to Highbourne.

"I'll be just a moment," Joseph tells his valet, who nods.

He turns around to Winifred, boots crunching against the ground. His breath expels clouds of mist as he steps towards her. Clearing her throat, she resorts to pragmatics: "Have you got everything? Including for the trip?"

"Yes, I have checked a thousand times, thanks to you."

"You will write to me as soon as you can, won't you? It needn't be a long letter. Just so I know you are safe."