15. Changing Perspectives

Depuis le début

"We'll get you nice and comfortable once we're inside," she assures him, "and there's soup for dinner."

"That's nice," Joseph mumbles absentmindedly.

Winifred lets out a soft, although slightly nervous chuckle: "Ah, that reminds me... you may find this amusing. While I was waiting for word about your fever, I was completely restless, pacing about the house like a woman possessed. I eventually grew so impatient that I went down to the kitchen and pleaded with the cook to give me something to do, anything. So there I sat, far into the night, sleeves rolled up and peeling more potatoes than could feed the household!"

Joseph does smile at this, but only slightly. The crinkles by his eyes are only fleeting before they are flattened out soberly again. His hand, however, clings longingly onto her arm through the sleeve's fabric, as though he were afraid she might disappear. Winifred frowns as they step through the front door, the household staff rushing to greet him — they do love him, after all, with his contagious laugh and genial manner (even if it is dimmed somewhat today). It is only after they disappear to make tea or prepare a fire for him that she gets a moment alone to inquire further.

"Listen, Joseph, are you quite sure you're well?" Winifred asks. "Is your fever coming back?"

Her hand instinctively flies up to his brow, pressing the back of it to his skin. She does not feel anything of concern, and Joseph lets out a hoarse laugh, taking her hand softly and pressing his lips to it for a moment. "I am alright," Joseph insists. "Just... exhausted. I think I might go up and rest before dinner tonight."

     She hums suspiciously. "And... that is all?"

"Yes, my love."

"... But if there were something else, you would tell me, wouldn't you?"

"Winifred, I promise I would tell you," says Joseph. "Although there is nothing to tell. Not... not really."

     His wife blinks at him. "You're starting to sound as worse a liar than I am."

     "And that would be saying something," he grins rather suddenly.

     "Joseph, please—"

     "Do not worry. I am fine. Really. Just... glad to be home with you."

She is hardly convinced. Nevertheless, she gets the feeling that it will be as much as she can coax out of her husband for now. After sharing a soft kiss on the lips, Winifred watches Joseph slowly advance upstairs, careful not to aggravate his healing ribs and collarbone. She watches over him carefully, until she is sure that he has gotten into bed and is resting.

     He is just tired, Winifred suggests to herself. Once he is well-rested, his spirits will be restored once more.

     Somehow, this time, she finds that harder to believe; her heart aches for him.

.·:·.⟐.·:·.

    "A jilted groom. A broken-hearted bride-to-be. A royal wedding in shambles..." Jemima takes a dramatic pause in her reading of Whistledown, making her niece Camille giggle. "Sensational? Quite. But true? This author may traffic in chatter and speculation, dear reader, but misinformation? Never."