14. Love And Commitment

Start from the beginning

     "I know, Papa," says Winifred.

     And she does know it, deep in her heart. It will all make sense one she sees him.

     The sound of organ music comes from inside the chapel, along with the shuffling of feet as people rise from the pews. It is time for the bride to enter. Charles offers his arm to link with Winifred's; she can feel the leather of his gloved hands pat around searching for hers, and when he finds it, he grips it tightly like he never wishes to let go.

     "Right, then," he says, trying to steady his voice. "Are you ready?"

     "I have never felt more ready."

     "Good... that makes one of us, then."

     Winifred could have sworn she heard his voice break. Surely enough, she looks up at her dear father's face, which desperately tries to remain stoic; she can see through her veil that his eyes are shimmering with unshed tears. It only worsens as Charles realises his daughter has noticed, his lip trembling as he squeezes her hand even harder. "Papa..." she whispers, feeling a lump form in her throat, too.

     In their last moments alone like this, she quickly lifts up her veil and presses a 'thank you' kiss to her father's cheek. Then, holding onto each other's arm more tightly than ever, they give each other a shaky smile. The doors open, and Charles leads the bride in to the wedding chorus...

.·:·.⟐.·:·.

THOUGH it baffles Winifred to actually be thinking these words, she must give credit to Lady Whistledown for summing it all up into words: "A march down the aisle may very well be the longest walk any young lady ever takes."

     Anthony Bridgerton and Edwina Sharma's wedding day is to be no exception.

     Winifred is reunited with her family for the occasion, this time in its entirety — her father made the surprise trip to London. Charles had announced he was to stay for the remainder of the season, Octavia adding that he was particularly interested in the event that a proposal might arise from a certain Colin Bridgerton. To this, Abigail's face had dropped with diffidence, a look that only Winifred seemed to notice.

     The day requires the finest attire. Everyone dresses in their very best, preparing for the summer heat that may meet them at the chapel. It is only when confronting her wardrobe that Winifred realises, in theory, that her year of mourning has come to a close. It need only continue through her own wishes. She does not quite know how to feel about it yet. Even if it weighs her down, she had grown accustomed to wearing black, and then the rotation of half-mourning colours. To play it safe, she opts for a mauve gown with an embroidered chest.

     The chapel has been decorated beautifully for the ceremony — the aisle is scattered with pale flower petals, and larger floral arrangements stand like towers to punctuate the pews. It is a gloriously sunny day, the light bursting through the stained-glass windows above the altar. Guests have already been filing in upon the Osbornes and Seymours' arrival, the chapel filled with excited chatter amongst the ton. Charles and Octavia walk arm-in-arm to find a pew for them all to be seated in, while Winifred cranes her neck to look up at the ceiling.

     "I do not think I have been to a wedding this grand since..." she trails off.

     "Ours?" Silas suggests, somewhat proudly. "Yes, that was quite the day."