s i x

(Song- Friends by Ed Sheeran)

Lydia was sitting at the edge of the dock late that night, skimming her toes along the top of the water. Her stomach felt like a boat being pushed and pulled by a storm. She wanted to tell Stiles, hell, she wanted to scream it at the top of her lungs. But something in the back of her head kept telling her to hold it it. She would rather never tell him then lose him forever. She loved him, but she loved their friendship just as much. Then she heard the creak of the dock and Stiles walked over to sit next to her. She looked up at him and his eyes looked tired.

"Hey." He said softly, and Lydia felt her heart flutter. He had such an effect on her; it was dangerous. Finally, she spoke.

"I'm sorry." She said, playing with her fingers.

"Why are you apologizing, Lyds?" He asked, turning so he was sitting cross legged, facing her.

"I overreacted. I got jealous and I shouldn't have taken it out on you." She said, worried that now was the time she would have to tell him.

"Lyds, I hope you never get jealous of Malia. First of all- we're done. And second- you're my number one girl, always have been." He grabbed her hand and held it.

"I know, I just never want to lose you, because, because-" she paused, her voice trembling. Just say it, she told herself. It's easy, I love you, Stiles; just do it, she thought to herself.

"Because you're my best friend and I don't ever want to change that." She finished, and instantly wished she could take it back based on the look on his face. Stiles felt his insides turn. Friends? He didn't want to be Lydia's friend, he never did. He wanted all of her, every part. He wanted Lydia Martin on her good days, Lydia Martin on her bad days. At four in the morning, and two in the afternoon. He could love her now, and for the rest of his life. But that wasn't what she wanted, so he didn't say it.

"Yeah, you're my best friend. And you'll never lose me, I promise." He said, the words felt like fire burning his mouth. He didn't want to say it. But he couldn't take it back. If this was the only way she'd still be in his life, he'd give it up. He'd give it up for her, at least he would try.

"Come on, let's go inside. It's late." Stiles said, getting up and extending an arm to Lydia. She took it and smiled. Maybe this could work. But Lydia's heart kept saying differently. Stiles wrapped an arm around her and they walked inside, together.

~

"Do you think they told each other?" Allison whispered to Scott as she peeked through the blinds at Lydia and Stiles.

"Allison, why are you whispering?" Scott asked as he watched Lydia and Stiles too. Allison smacked his arm.

"Should we be spying? I feel like we shouldn't be invading their moment."

Scott laughed, shaking his head. "They can't even see us."

Just then Allison quickly jumped away from the window and pulled Scott onto the couch. "Hurry, they're coming inside. Act natural, like we weren't spying." She said, extremely flustered.

"Okay." Scott said and then was hovering over her, kissing Allison like their lives depended on it. The screen door opened and Stiles groaned.

"Awh, gross man. Get a room." He said, trying to shield his eyes. Scott and Allison pulled apart and Allison giggled against Scott's chest.

"Nice." She whispered.

~

Lydia say in bed that night, mentally kicking herself. It could've been so easy. Maybe she should just go tell him the truth. Go to his room and lay it all on the line. She could do that, right? She was Lydia Martin, of course. She got up out of bed and walked towards the door. She could do this. As she opened the door, Allison stood in front of her, grinning.

"Get in here, you're telling me everything." She said, pulling Lydia back into her room.

"Uh, okay." Lydia said.

"So, did you tell him?" Allison asked eagerly.

"Well, I was going to- but..." Lydia said, wincing. She knew she was about to hear it from Allison.

"But what? You didn't tell him? Why Lyds?" Allison asked, seeming more upset than Lydia was.

"I don't know, I was about to, and then I just didn't."

Allison sighed. "Okay, but you should tell him soon. Life's too short, Lydia."

"I know." She whispered.

~

Stiles laid in bed that night, watching the fan spin. His thoughts were spinning in the same way. Friends? No. He'd been "just friends" with Lydia for too long. He was done being selfless. He wanted to be selfish with her; he loved her. Quickly hopping from his bed, he bolted to the door. Hopefully she would be awake. But when he opened the door to leave, someone pulled him back in.

"Scott, no. I'm sorry I gotta go talk to Lydia." Stiles said, tapping his fingers on the door handle anxiously.

"Just tell me what happened really quick. Did you tell her?" Scott asked.

"No, um, I didn't. But I'm gonna. Soon."

Scott smiled. "Good."

~

The next day, the whole gang went tubing. Everyone brought food and drinks and they traded off driving the boat around. Lydia sat by the front, by Allison and Kira. Scott and Isaac were out on the tube, having the time of their lives. Danny and Ethan sat towards the back, talking and trying to keep an eye on Scott and Isaac. Stiles was driving, but Malia stood close by him, obviously flirting. She leaned closer and whispered something in his ear; Lydia watched the whole time. She clenched her fist, feeling horribly jealous. But they were just friends; she couldn't get jealous, not now.

Meanwhile, Mlia was asking Stiles how to drive the boat, and when she leaned closer, Stiles tensed up. This didn't feel right, and he wanted Malia far away from him. Stiles didn't want Lydia to see, but when he looked up at her, she was staring right at him. They stared at each other for what seemed like forever. Her eyes burned holes into his brain. This friends thing wasn't going to work, Stiles thought to himself.