t w o

(Song- Say Anything by Ashley Nite)

Packing all of Lydia's bags into Stiles's blue Jeep was easier said than done.

"Come on, Stiles. It's not that hard. Just- jam it in there-" Lydia grunted, pushing the last of her bags into the trunk with a determined look.

"Lydia, why do you have this much stuff? We'll only be gone for two weeks." Stiles said, rolling his eyes as he shut the trunk window. Lydia huffed and flicked her hair over her shoulder.

"Always pack prepared for anything, Stiles. And you only brought one bag, so..." She said, not finishing her sentence and raising her eyebrows at the scrawny boy. As the two of them were bickering, Scott and Allison were organizing bags into her and Danny's Suburbans. Everyone's bags fit into the two cars and each person was planning to ride in the car that their bags were in.

"Stiles! I won't ride in your stupid Jeep if you have such a problem with my music choices. Scott can ride with you then!" Lydia said, throwing her hands up in the air in exasperation.

The new topic of argument was what music to play in the car. Lydia was already wanting to rip her hair out; she was grateful she wouldn't have to drive the whole way there with Stiles. Scott walked towards the bickering pair with a nervous expression as he rubbed his hands together.

"Alright guys, give me five minutes and then you can continue arguing. Everyone's bags are packed and we've decided it'd be easiest to ride in the car your bags are in. So Lydia, you'll be driving with Stiles. Everyone else will separate in Allison and Danny's cars. Sound good? Awesome." But Scott didn't wait for an answer. He turned in his heel quickly and walked away before he could feel the wrath of Lydia and Stiles. Lydia clenched her fists and turned towards Stiles, who gulped.

"Well, this is going to be a fun ride." He said, laughing nervously and rubbing the back of his neck. Lydia shook her head and got into the front seat, slammed the passenger door shut and asked herself for the millionth time why she had agreed to this.

~~~~~~~~~
Stiles hadn't hung out with Lydia alone since, he couldn't even remember. He missed the old Stiles and Lydia, who hung out all the time and just enjoyed each other's company. He missed her. Something had changed in Lydia, and he couldn't figure out just what it was. She was more distant lately, less engaged with him. Every time he would look at her she would quickly look away when she saw him staring. He wondered if he had done something to make her act differently. But he was pulled out of his thoughts by her voice and the sound of paper moving around violently.

"Stiles, do you know where you're going?" Lydia asked, turning the map around in different ways. "It says you're on the wrong road on your GPS."

Stiles laughed, took the map from her hands and threw it in the back seat. "Lyds, I know where I'm going. Come on. Have a little faith."

Lydia frowned, "Look at your GPS."

Stiles smirked, "Okay, but I know where- oh shit!" He said, realizing she was right. Lydia laughed as he dialed Scott's number frantically. It went straight to voicemail.

"Hey, buddy. I made a wrong turn and now we're on the wrong road. But it's okay, it says the road will still take us to the cabin, it just might take us an extra night." Lydia stopped laughing. "I'll text you updates later, see you." Stiles finished, hanging up and looking back at the road nonchalantly. He tapped his fingers in the steering wheel as he drove.

"Another night?! Stiles, are you kidding me?" Lydia yelled, turning in her seat so she was facing him. He grimaced and looked anywhere but at her.

"Uh, yeah. We'll be fine though. Just stop at a motel tonight and be back on the road tomorrow morning. Hey, what do you want for lunch?" He asked, clearly changing the subject. Lydia groaned and sank low into the seat. Stiles smiled secretly. He wasn't that worried. This way, he'd be able to figure out what's been going on with his girl lately.

~

They stopped at a diner and gas station later that day for lunch and to fill up the tank. The two of them walked into the diner and sat down at a booth, looking over the menu. When the waitress, arrived, she smiled as she put a hand on her hip.

"Well, aren't you two the cutest things. I haven't had a young couple in here for the darnedest time. Always those grumpy truckers I serve. This is a nice surprise. Hey, Monroe! Get this couple two milkshakes, on the house!" She hollered back to the chef working behind the bar. Lydia blushed and stuttered trying to correct the waitress, named Sally.

"We're not- no. He and I, we're not- we're not a couple."

Stiles held back a laugh, covering his mouth with his hand and looked down. Lydia kicked him under the table and he straightened up, trying to put on a straight face.

"Yeah, right. We're not together. Nope." Those were the only words he managed to get out before Lydia glared at him and quickly told Sally her order. Stiles ordered the same and they handed Sally their menus. She smiled at the two of them.

"I'll have your food out soon, kids." She said, winking at them. Just as she left, Stiles burst out laughing.

"What is so funny?" Lydia asked, trying not to smile; his laugh was contagious.

"Nothing, nothing. I've just never seen the Lydia Martin that red in the face and flustered before." He said, leaning back and grinning at her with his boyish smile.

"Oh shut up." She said, blushing as she fiddled with her silverware. This is going to be fun, Stiles thought to himself.