《Misunderstandings》

Start from the beginning

I breathed out a sigh, there was no escaping it. I needed to use my powers again.

I rested my glasses on my head and called out, "Awaken, Eyes of the Sacred Soul!"

The same surge that traveled through my body met my eyes. Everyone surrounding me were frozen in my mind spell. I took the employee information and filled it with my own. I discarded the photo of the other employee and ripped it into several pieces so no one would be able to recognize the actual employee. I slid the paper into her hands and let go of the spell. As the magic dissolved I could feel the glow in my eyes fading. When she spoke again I pulled down my glasses.

"Well it seems like you are the new employee, Suta-san. I hope you get your memory back soon. I've heard many good things about you from the franchise. You might even be as good is Maou-san." She laughed and handed me the uniform.

After I changed I looked at myself in the mirror. My red shirt was a bit too big so I took another hair tie and tied it to about the right length. I wore a red shirt, a black skirt and red hat that had the logo on top. I kept my red tie on, I thought maybe a black tie would look better for this uniform.

Maou had taught me the basics and the rules of working at the franchise. Next was the step by step process of operating the machines, the register, and how to cook the items the correct way. Throughout the 'lessons' I caught Chiho eyeing me suspiciously. I had a bad feeling about this. After my informational tour, I recited the rules to Kisaki and Maou. They seemed impressed and said I was the only to get them all right. Kisaki commented that I probably had the rules buried at the back of my head. I thanked them and felt a presence watching me again. I turned and saw Chiho's pigtails swing back to the customer in front. She returned from school.

For the rest of the day I was working with the other employees cooking the fries and making the burgers. Still, I got strange stares from Chiho and a few glances from Maou. But it was the looks I got from Chiho that upset me the most, it was as if she was on to me, like she sensed I wasn't from here.

"Bye! It was nice to meet you," I waved to one of my fellow co-workers. They waved back.

I felt a wave of panic at the soft tap at my shoulder. It was from Chiho. I turned to her and immediately greeted her.

"O-oh, Sasaki-chan, hello." I smiled, and suddenly everything I was doing felt like a bad move. Was I smiling too much? Maybe I said hi too loudly. She'd definitely think my behavior is strange.

"Suta-san," she brought her hand to the cover side of her mouth and whispered in my ear. "Can I speak with you? I need to ask your something in private." Anxiety rang in my head causing me to stutter.

"S-sure, one sec-second." No matter what I had to accept, or else it would build up more suspicion. What does she need to ask me? Why privately?

As soon as I changed out of the uniform I went to say goodbye to my new manager.

"I'm very impressed with how you did on your first day. I hope things progress with your situation. You are officially a MgRonald's employee!" She congratulated me. And I thanked her, the thought of having impressed my first manager eased the nervousness that was exploding in my brain. I met with Chiho while Maou was still gathering his things.

"What was it you wanted to discuss with me?"

"I wanted to know," she looked around nervously. "What is your connection with Maou-san?"

My eyes widened as I gave a shaky response, "Why does it concern you?"

"Just out of curiosity I wanted to know."

"Oh." My anxiety died down.

"A-are you in a relationship with Maou-san?" Chiho's cheeks were burning fro0m embarrassment and the heat had entered into mine too.

"W-wha-what?!" I stammered, my face both bright with embarrassment and dark with confusion. The Devil and the angel of Cherubim? A relationship like that would end in a bloodbath.

"A-a-a-are you his-his girlfr-"

"No!" I exclaimed with cheeks still red. "Why would you think that?" The volume of my voice lowered.

"Well, I saw you come with him from his house. Did you sleep over?" Her cheeks stayed as red as a tomato.

"Yes I did sleep over, but it isn't like that. Maou-san offered to help me. Since that fall I took in front of this fast food place, I've had amnesia. He promised to help me recover. He had a feeling I was the new employee and it turned out to be true after all." Talking about how generous the Overlord had been to me was certainly odd. Explaining that Satan and an Angel were not in an intimate relationship to a human was even stranger. However, I did it both.

"I'm sorry Suta-san. I didn't mean to jump to conclusions." She bowed her head. In Chiho's cheeks remained a slight tint of red.

"Don't worry, it was just a mistake. By the way, you can call me Hikari from now on."

"Th-thank you Hikari-San and you can call me Chiho."

"No problem, Chiho-chan."

From that awkward conversation forward, Chiho suggested that I join her for dinner at the new restaurant five blocks away from MgRonald's. Surprised, I told her that I was still staying with Maou and residence at the moment so I probably couldn't come. She offered to walk me back to Villa Sasazuka and Maou and I worked out a plan.

"Your curfew is 9:30. Don't come any later than that or you might be locked out," Maou instructed.

"You're not my parent Maou-San, but I will arrive no later than that time." I assured him.

One sip from the tea of the restaurant and I knew the food would be delicious. Chiho and I chatted over several topics, like school, Finals, MgRonalds, and the food before talking about Maou and his roommates.

"So do you like Maou?" I asked Chiho hoping the answer was a no, but thinking otherwise.

I sat amused by how fast her face lit up like a red traffic light.

"Well, yes, but he hasn't returned my feelings." She admitted sadly.

"You mean he knows you like him and he hasn't said anything?" She gave a slow nod. I placed my hands on her shoulders determined to get her on the right path. "But Chiho-chan how well do you know Maou-San? Do you know everything about him, even the things he might hide? And more importantly, how can he not answer?!"

"I know enough, maybe even too much. But even if he doesn't feel that way towards me I'm fine just being friends."

☆☆☆

When I returned to the Maou Residence, I was surprised to find that Maou had fallen asleep and Ashiya was sick. Ashiya was resting early because he didn't want to get worse the next day, he had just been sick recently and was worried that he would become really ill. Unfortunately, Urushihara was the only one awake, he was on the website Tumblr wasting his time again on his computer.

"Hey, you're not going to lay down next to me again are you?" I asked Urushihara.

"Probably not."

"Why probably?" I asked worried.

"Because I might," he replied.

T h e r e   a r e   

s o  m a n y  t h i n g s 

t o  m i s u n d e r s t a n d ,

c o u l d  o n e  o f  t h e m

b e  y o u ?

--

Heyo!

It's been two months and school starts soon so I wanted to finish this chapter and post it for you guys bc I know I promised to write more! But I have been working on different things to write so that and Summer is what I've been busy with. This chapter is ehhh~, its not one of the best chapters I've written but I wanted to get it over with so I could post it for you guys before I forgot! So I hope you liked it!

-Claire

       {wandering-wings}