Pumpkin Patch Kid

Wormwood was finishing off the last bits of his breakfast when the question popped up.

"SO, WHAT ARE YOU?"

"Huh?" Wormwood looked over to Wx, who was sitting, arms crossed.

"I MEAN... LIKE I HAVE SEEN LOTS OF WEIRD THINGS WHILE... HERE -" they gestured around them "-BUT I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE YOU "

"I'm a pumpkin?" Wormwood said, hoping that was a satisfying answer. Wx didn't think so.

" YEAH, SURE. " Wx said "I'VE SEEN PUMPKINS BEFORE... THEY DON'T TALK."

"Well maybe you don't care to listen." Wormwood muddled under his breath.

"HUH?" WX asked but Wormwood was getting up.

"We got a long ways to travel-" Wormwood said, stretching. "I want to get someplace where you can actually rest instead of this constant moving we've been doing."

"HEY-" Wx said getting up abruptly "I'M STILL NOT WEAK, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BABY ME-"

"Sorry! Sorry!" Wormwood said, waving his hands in surrender. "Just meant you were hurt, very hurt! Never meant that you were weak!" Wormwood said, a nervous sense of cheeriness dripping into his voice.

Wx didn't say anything in response, but their expression did falter a bit before settling into their usual scowl.

Wormwood gestured them over to Zinnia. Which they lucky got on without much hassle this time.

—((^|^))—

"SO... YOU NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION COMPLETELY."

"Hmm?"

"WHAT ARE YOU? CAUSE I MEAN, LIKE I KNOW YOU'RE A PUMPKIN... BUT MOST PUMPKINS AREN'T LIKE YOU, THEIR WAY LESS... SENTIENT ."

Wormwood was quiet for a moment before replying "I... I don't know... I kinda just happened ."

"HOW DID YOU " JUST HAPPEN ""

"Well... honestly my memory is blurry but"

{(*w*)} ~ Flashback ~ {(*w*)}

It was a cool fall night, Daisy was trotting out with a cup of some cocoa. Excited to watch the shooting stars that were scheduled to happen that night. She sat upon a swinging bench she had set up on her deck years ago.

She looked up at the night sky, content by the peacefulness around her. She sighed as she started to rock the bench, with each rock it squeaked, keeping time like a metronome.

She looked up and saw a shooting star. Huh, well she aught to make a wish. She folded her hooves and closed her eyes tightly.

She wished for her harvest to be bountiful, she wished for the safety of herself and her neighbours. Yeah it was simple, but it was all she really wanted to be honest. She was quite content with her small, simple life. She didn't wish for more-

is... is the shooting star heading towards her?

She looked at the bright light that started to grow as the meteor started to grow closer and closer.

She sat there, awestruck as this great fiery light started descending upon her small shack.

She shook her head, hopefully correcting whatever hallucination this had to be, but the star kept on its collision course with her home. She got up and rushed inside her home rushing under her kitchen table for some form of protection for when it hit.

She never really considered herself to be the religious sort, but as she held onto one of the legs of the table she prayed, to whatever god there was out there that she would be safe, that everyone, even those she disliked, wouldn't die in the blast, that her little town, the one she lived in all her life, wouldn't become just a charred scorch mark of a town that no one would remember.