He's no outlaw, and he won't quick draw For he despises violence

WX-78 booted up and stared at the sky, confused about their location. They sat up and looked around and oh. That jerk...

They stared daggers into the pumpkin before reaching for their knives to find they weren't there! That lowlife stole 'em! They piped up and shouted at the thing.

"HEY YOU PUMPKINHEAD" yeah that was most definitely the lowest of low-hanging fruits out there, but the buzzing in their circuits made it a genuine struggle to come up with insults right now. Why were they like this?

He turned around suddenly and softly smiled at them, grabbing the bowl next to himself and walking over to them, mumbling some sort of apology. When he got close enough they swiftly jabbed him hard in the stomach, at least as hard as they could in such a condition. He keeled over and stumbled backward a bit, looking a bit surprised at the reaction.

WX attempted to get and- Urgh...

As they did, everything around them swayed and shook, and not a moment after, they flopped gracelessly back onto the mat. They were feeling acutely lightheaded, and it was becoming much more difficult for them to think straight...

They closed their eyes and grabbed the sides of their head, groaning softly. The buzzing sensation growing, drowning out every thought. For all they could perceive, their mind would instantly turn to blaring static. Nothing else to feel but the fuzzy sensation around them.

Suddenly, they felt something rubbing at their back, just as faceless whispers began to speak gentle words of comfort, which just sounded more like gibberish to them. Great! We

It...Or he was looking at them with a worried expression, and it seemed he was the source of those obscure whispers. They had to use a bit more effort than they should have, to piece together what the anathema in front of them was actually saying.

"I will not hurt friend so please don't hit me m'kay?" He said as he handed them the bowl from earlier. It was a mix of poorly cooked meat and dry eggs. Eh, they've eaten worse most of the time.

They dug in, besides, poison wouldn't do much to them, thanks to their lack of a bloodstream! Unlike many of the creatures that had fallen before them. Heh.

The pumpkin went to get its own portion of the grub, then, he sat down close by. Not long after, he, too, started eating.

"HEY" WX-78 started, still angry at the gourd. "WHERE ARE MY KNIVES ANYWAY?"

The plant stared at 'em with a somewhat questioning look on his face, as he replied

"I don't think you need any more knives..." Promptly after, he asked a question of his own. "So... black cat-"

"WX-78. THAT IS MY NAME"

"WX...78?"

"YES?"

"That's a funny name!"

"AND? WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF IT?"

He did a shaky wave with both hands like he was trying to soothe a wild horse, saying "no" over and over, trying to dismiss the accidental insult."

"ALRIGHT, WHAT'S YOUR NAME IF IT'S SO GOOD." They said while probably rolling their eyes, at least if they had any.

"Oh! My name's Wormwood!" He said, jack-o-lantern eyes glowing a little brighter, and also completely missing the venom dripping in WX's voice.

"YEAH, YOUR NAME ISN'T WINNING ANY CONTESTS."

"Who has a contest for names?"

"UH..." The pepo gave a small giggle and WX's spite for Wormwood grew.

"WHAT'S EVEN WITH THOSE PIGS CALLING ME THE BLACK CAT?" They said, trying to redirect the conversation so they wouldn't have to answer.

Wormwood reached a branch over to WX's head and grabbed their hat by the brim. He traced one of his leaves over the crease and dents on the crown, forming an "M" in the air.

"Looks like kitty ears!" Wormwood stated, "And you make that weird buzzing sound like a cat. Oh! And you have a tail!"

WX gave a small grunt in return. Wormwood placed the hat back on their head.

They sat their sitting and stared at each other. A gust of wind rang past them.

"...WHERE ARE WE ANYWAYS?" WX said looking around them.

"A field?" Wormwood said, confused by the question.

"YEAH, NO KIDDING. LIKE IS THIS YOUR FIELD OR SOMEONE ELSE'S PLACE?"

Wormwood stared awkwardly, like someone who was trying to hide something behind their back.

"YOU... DON'T REALLY KNOW DO YOU?"

Wormwood nodded, embarrassed.

"DO YOU EVEN HAVE A FORM OF TRANSPORT?"

Wormwood pointed to his leg.

"OH DEAR GOD I'M DEALING WITH AN IDIOT." They said, putting their head in their hands. "HOW DID WE GET HERE ANYWAYS."

"I don't really know..." Wormwood replied, saddened. "Was trying to find someone to help fix friend. Lost track."

Well shit, WX felt a little remorse for the squash but brushed it off.

"WELL, I KNOW A FEW WAYS TO GET A HORSE."

"Really?! How?!" Wormwood said nearly bouncing up and down.

"LISTEN... HELP ME OUT AND I'LL SHOW YA ALRIGHT?"

"Okay!"