Love, Lust And Lobster Part II

Start from the beginning

Once I had finished cleaning all the food surfaces in the small kitchen, I went to the front side of the treehouse, and started opening things up. Arizona had her builder install doors and windows that pushed back or recessed, so you could open-up a great deal of the treehouse to the wrap around front deck. That particular evening, it was in the low 80's and there was a light breeze coming off the Puget Sound, so it was a perfect night to bring the outside, indoors.

I took a deep breath of fresh air after opening up the small house, and went to grab the broom. One of my favorite songs came on at that moment, so I turned up the music and started "dance-sweeping." Which basically entailed me sweeping and dancing with the broom as a partner, but it was more dancing than actual work. About 2 minutes into my questionable attempt at cleaning, I turned around to see Arizona's Mom, standing about 5 feet from me. 

Not expecting anyone to be there, I jumped and screamed when I saw her. Barbara was smiling her normal gentle, smile, but I could tell she was trying not to laugh. Arizona gives me a similar bemused look when she's biting her lower lip in attempt to suppress her laughter at my idiosyncrasies she finds cute or funny. 

"Oh Callie, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to startle you and that's why I was waiting to get your attention."

I couldn't help but think, 'Like Mother, Like Daughter,' in that moment and said out loud, "I really should put bells around your neck and Arizona's!"

Barbara, not understanding my humor regarding Arizona's and her own ability to startle me, gave me a confused look. Instead of going into details, I quickly changed the subject when I realized what Barbara had just witnessed. 

That's when I turned a deep crimson and said, "Oh my gosh Barbara, how long have you been standing there? I'm so embarrassed."

Barbara laughed and said, "I was enjoying your performance, my dear. I feel bad I just interrupted, however, you said you wanted to talk to me if we got a chance to discuss the topic at hand in private?"

I nodded an affirmative, Yes, in response.

"Well, Daniel and the girls are in the house. Arizona's busy with cooking preparations and Daniel is helping her peel and clean the shrimp. I told them I was coming outside to see if you needed any help."

"That's a perfect cover, Barbara, thanks."

"So, what do I need to do to help you out, Callie? By the way, I think this is a monumental experience you have planned for everyone this August. I know Arizona will have a wonderful time, even if the event does fall on her birthday."

I motioned for Barbara to grab a seat with me, at the bar counter on the back side of the kitchen island.

"I hope so, Barbara, but that was my only hesitation about having this party while on vacation because it will fall on Arizona's actual birthday. It is however, the only day that seemed to work for all the folks that are involved. So, I've just decided not to make a big deal about her birthday (as usual) and to tell everyone else to do the same that evening."

"It probably seems strange to anyone else, Callie, but I understand why Arizona doesn't like to celebrate her birthday and knowing my daughter, I suspect she's never told you why?"

"Actually Barbara, I was thinking about the topic the other day and realized it's one of a handful of things I don't know about Arizona. Part of me wonders, but I've realized over the decade plus we've been together, it's not a topic that I should broach with my wife."

"And rightfully so, Callie. My daughter and Daniel are highly sensitive people, but they'll never admit to it. Instead, when they feel emotionally vulnerable or threatened, they build a wall and shut down those around them from prying any further."