Unexpected Solutions

Start from the beginning

The secret entanglement of scheming and fleeting glances with James Potter would have been an excellent diversion against the boredom and eagerness that raged relentlessly in Alya's soul.

***

21 February 1977. Hogwarts.

When the bell announced the long-awaited end of the lecture, the room was immediately invaded by an excited hustle and bustle of books, feathers, parchments and hands trafficking in bags.

Alya, Philippa, Melyssa and Beth left the History of Magic class looking bored.

"Am I wrong, or are Professor Binns' lessons getting more soporific every day?" commented Beth caustically, with Melyssa giggling in the background to agree with her. Alya merely demonstrated her assent with a wide yawn; she hadn't slept much the night before, busy as she was brooding over how to break it off with Nott. In vain.

The girl was astonished to see Philippa silent. Usually, her disdainful blonde friend did not miss an opportunity to bitterly denigrate a boring lecture or a professor. Yet she had not even retorted to Beth's comment with a scowl, proceeding with her head held high and her expression blank, unblinking. She seemed totally absorbed in her thoughts, which, judging by the vaguely dreamy air painting her face, must have been more than welcome. Alya even had the impression of hearing her humming.

However, Philippa's good humour left her completely indifferent. She had much more to think about.

The quartet, meanwhile, was heading for the ground floor, where the Transfiguration classroom was located.

"Girls, I have to go to the bathroom for a moment. Save me a seat." announced Alya, before momentarily separating from her group.

She entered a small, unadorned, deserted-looking corridor. It was a shortcut unfamiliar to the students, except for the older ones, which led more quickly to the ground-floor toilets. Along the narrow passageway, little battered doors occasionally appeared, guarding the entrance to unusual old classrooms.

Alya rinsed her face with copious amounts of cold water to combat the signs of residual sleepiness that still did not leave her from the almost sleepless night. Before leaving, she meticulously checked her appearance one last time, verifying that nothing in her was out of place. Young Black had always been a very vain girl, after all. However, in recent times she seemed to care more about looking beautiful and tidy.

Alya walked out of the ground-floor bathroom and down the narrow shortcut lined with old abandoned classrooms. It was from one of those worn-out doors that an arm suddenly jutted out, grabbing the girl and dragging her inside a narrow, dark room that reeked of stale dust and mould. On instinct, Alya drew her wand straight out in front of her, ready to defend herself.

"Lower your weapon, Black! It's me, don't you recognise me?" a voice that had become unmistakable to Alya teased her.

"Lumos." whispered the girl. A dim stream of light sprang from the tip of her wand, still raised, illuminating James Potter's mocking, smiling face.

"Potter! But how on earth did you know I was here?" blurted Alya, visibly confused and displeased. Young Black had a habit of scowling when she couldn't understand something.

"I was wandering around," he replied laconically.

Alya was on the verge of protesting and saying that that wasn't an answer at all, but James quickly took her face in his hands and unceremoniously kissed her. Suddenly, all the questions swirling in the girl's head dissolved, her thoughts became calmer, lighter.

"I've missed your kisses, Black," James murmured, gently stroking her lips with a finger. "I've done nothing but think about it all weekend!" the Gryffindor chuckled, explaining the reason for that unexpected ambush.