four | at odds

culture war (noun): a divisive public debate between groups in society with contrasting values, beliefs, and goals- My progressive sister and our conservative parents are on opposite sides of the culture wars

˜"*°*"˜

I DON'T THINK I'd ever experienced an event as awkward as the dinner we all shared that night.

And I've been forced to watch two rather good friends compete for presidency. That in itself is disturbing but this dinner took the cake by a long run.

We had settled for an uncomfortable silence once the dribs and drabs of what was meant to be conversation had died down. I nearly sighed when someone interrupted the constant theme of quiet with the exception of forks twirling pasta clinking against the plates which may have very well been fine China.

The gasp drew the attention of everyone seated around the table and the corners of my lips twitched into a smile at Peyton's face as she side-eyed her mother.

"Amila, I hear that you have a boyfriend." My eyes immediately searched for Jordynn who only played with her food clearly uninterested in the topic that had just been brought up.

I cleared my throat after nearly choking on my food at the reminder, "Uhm, yeah. Lonan." I didn't miss the way my mother rolled her eyes and clearly Iyanna didn't either.

"Is there a problem Selene?" She asked, her tone laced with sarcasm, and it was obvious that those words were the beginning of an argument that would explode if it wasn't disarmed. I spoke for the fiery Latina before she could get a word out.

"It's nothing." I added hastily, "Mom just doesn't really like Lonan very much." A soft breath of relief leaving me when I saw Iyanna visibly relax.

However, my mother huffed in displeasure, "I don't have anything against the boy. I just think you're too young to be dating."

"Well, I think it's a good that she's putting herself out there. There's nothing wrong with a little experimenting." She sent a suggestive wink over her glass of wine. My face instantly flushed in embarrassment at the mention.

"Until 'experimenting' leaves her with a baby she can't take care of." I apprehensively fidgeted in my seat at the sudden, sharp turn the topic had taken and the predictable disagreement the older women would have.

"Now you're just self-projecting." Mom flinched at that, and I couldn't help but instantly have my guard up, prepared to play defense.

"They're well versed in methods of contraception these days and if push comes to shove there's always the morning after pill or the option of abortion."

I could practically feel my mother tense at the mention. "Abortion?" She started, saying the term as if it was acid burning her tongue, "How could you speak about taking a life so easily?" She wasn't exactly pro-choice and was to date fighting the opposing side of the culture war.