(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 57 Memorial 3

Beginne am Anfang

Bete:...

Asuna: The assassins, too, in line with the laws of their familia, refuse to say a word as to who hired them, even going so far as to kill themselves...The Guild has apparently given up on trying to extract details out of their ringleader.

She continued, almost businesslike in her tone. It made sense that the Guild would leap into action after what had happened. They must have used Status Thieves on the assassins' bodies in an attempt to extract the name of their god, resulting in nothing but a myriad of unanswered questions.

While the Berbera had been able to kill many of their attackers (they were adventurers of Orario, after all), the cursed weapons of the assassins had finished the deed for them in many cases. What's more, the assassins didn't fear death, throwing themselves at the Berbera in near-suicidal attacks in order to wound (and curse) their victims. The combination of these two factors was what had led to a frighteningly high victim count. When the assassins found themselves at a draw with their target, they'd simply killed themselves. And it was no different with the assassins Loki Familia apprehended in their rush to help, either. Aiz watched as Asuna tended to each of Bete's wounds. The werewolf himself was uncomfortably quiet until she'd completed her task.

Asuna: I've finished with my ministrations... However, your wounds will still need a while to fully heal after being afflicted by such a strong curse. Please take some time to fully rest and recover, Bete.

Asuna asserted as she rose to her feet and made to leave Bete's side. Only, the moment she tried to move, she appeared to grow faint, and Aiz rushed to help her before she could collapse.

Aiz: Big Sis...!

Asuna: I...apologize...I appear to have...used a bit too much...Mind...

Aiz bit down on her lip as she held the other girl close. Asuna's breath was ragged. Aiz needed to get her somewhere she could rest, but as she made to leave, she suddenly stopped. Could she leave Bete alone at a time like this?

Bete: Get her outta here, would ya? She's an eyesore.

The wolf said from behind her, arrogant as always. That much was the same, but still, that static expression of emptiness on his face worried her. She stood there, not entirely sure what to do, before finally opening the door with Asuna still in her arms.

Aiz: Stay here...okay? I'll be...right back.

And then, with one look behind her, the golden-haired, golden-eyed swordswoman walked out the door. Silence returned to the room. The only sound was the rain, now vexingly loud against his ears. Having sat as still as a statue for so long, Bete finally slowly rose to his feet.

Bete:...

His amber eyes turned toward the window and the view of a rain-swept Orario beyond. The fang on his face twisted, and his reflection in the window glared back at him like his own worst enemy. And so his arm rose to punch it wide open, smashing glass and reflection both.

(Elsewhere)

Finn: I apologize for getting you mixed up in this, Antianeira.

Finn was standing in front of the group of injured Amazons on the first floor of the soaring Babel Tower at the center of the city. Even now, in the middle of the night, the entryway to the Dungeon was bustling with activity. All those affected by the "Amazon hunt" had gathered among the crowd.

 All those affected by the "Amazon hunt" had gathered among the crowd