Chapter 11: No bark all bite

Start from the beginning

'Night Dad.'

Thyra's POV

When I arrive at Krogan's base, the suffocating feeling still hasn't left me. 

'You're back, good, what did you find out?' Krogan immediately asks before I even fully dismounted. 

'Gee, excited much. Calm down a little. I know their defense, escape routes, and I know that the great hall only has one way in and out. Their weapons are pretty powerful so I won't recommend attacking when they expect it. They are suffering from the loss of a good trait- trader.' I quickly explain. 'Stoick hot-headedly decided to burn everything they bought from Johann, Berk is desperate.'

'Then that is where we'll strike. Now, if you were Hiccup, what traders would you go looking for?'

'Only the best.' I answer after a moment. 

Krogan smirks. 'Exactly, so let's send some flyers over to them. You are dismissed.'

I nod and walk away. My fists are clenched and I feel like I can't breathe. Why Odin? Why?

I fall face flat on my bed and refuse to move, even though I hear Midnight warble worriedly. I just can't bring myself to get up. Guilt is tugging at my heart and making me want to vomit. I can't remember the last night I had a good night's sleep. Perhaps I should just stay awake, it's already morning anyway. 

Then something pricks my forehead. I recognize the feeling, and gently push the fuzzy yellow orb away. 'Not now Nugget.'

Nugget chirps and starts to peck my hair. 'Ah, no, you can't eat my hair.' I look up and chuckle meekly. 'Nugget.' I scold the little chick that just refuses to stop. Nugget chirps again until I sit up and take him into my hands. I sigh and smile. Then Midnight perks her head up and decides that she's not getting enough attention. 

Without hesitation, she jumps over me and Nugget and starts hugging me close while Nugget hops over my shoulder. I sigh content. 

Maybe I'm helping Krogan, but at least I'm helping the captured dragons here too, and at least I'm with my brother and my best friend. As if reading my thoughts, Nugget hops on my head and chirps again.

I sigh. 'Two best friends.' I correct myself.

I watch as Hiccup and Stoick fly off, exactly according to plan

I watch as Hiccup and Stoick fly off, exactly according to plan. The new merchants are doing their job wonderfully, perhaps a bit too well. While Stoick told them all to leave, the twins had other plans. As expected, the merchants manage to worm the idea of a contest into their heads. A cooking contest.

And that is why we're now gathered in the Great Hall, where the twins just finished all the food and are getting ready to announce their verdict. I'm simply hiding in the crowd, it's not like anyone is looking here, but I still try to stay out of sight of the riders.