Chapter Twenty-six

Start from the beginning

She moved them gingerly. It was alright when she moved them at a snail's pace but when she tried to move them normal speed it hurt.

"Okay, so the poison didn't spread much to your upper body, but the lower body is very, very bad," Hawkfeather mused. "Alright then, I'll call somebody to bring you prey."

"How's Pebblekit?" Frostwind asked.

"She's fine, Brightflame is nursing her," Hawkfeather meowed. "Your milk may be contaminated. Anyway... SKYFEATHER!" he yowled loudly.

The white tom dashed into the den. "You're okay!" he gasped in relief when he saw Frostwind with her eyes opened. She smiled and nodded slightly. "What does she need? Prey? Water? I'll get it right away!"

"Prey, and some wet moss," Hawkfeather instructed him, and he scampered away. "You see. That tom has been nuts! He came in here every, I don't know, two minutes?"

Frostwind laughed softly. That was exactly what she wanted to hear. He had been concerned about her. That was all that mattered. As long as she still had him, she could live forever even if every step was pain.

***

She slowly recovered over the course of a few moons. By the time she could finally run and play again, it was time for Pebblekit to be apprenticed. Pebblekit had been very sweet to Frostwind, always bringing her prey and water, and she was happy to keep her mother company even when all Frostwind could do was talk. Pebblekit would tell Frostwind about her day, and everything that had happened, and then beg Frostwind to tell her battle stories. Frostwind obliged eagerly. Battle stories, she was full of.

Pebblekit was already six moons and so cute and matured. To Frostwind's surprise, her daughter had chosen to train as a medicine cat. Hawkfeather had been simply delighted to take her on. Despite only being the same age as Amberfrost, the deputy, he proclaimed himself to be ancient and in need of a replacement medicine cat.

Meanwhile, the underground movement to overthrow Stonestar had began in earnest. They visibly challenged Stonestar at every Clan meeting and gathering, causing their fellows to lose confidence in their leader, especially when Stonestar could barely splutter a response. Amberfrost in particular had tried to change all of his decisions to wiser ones, but right in front of the Clan.

Hickorysnarl had also come to visit Frostwind several times, and the brown she-cat expressed her concern about the future of the Clan. "Amberfrost and Branchclaw challenge Stonestar every day," Hickorysnarl meowed worriedly, naming the deputy and her mate. "I think Branchclaw actually likes it! How could they do that? The Clan is already falling apart! I know Stonestar isn't the best leader, but he's the only one we've got."

"Well, it's about time for Pebblekit's apprentice ceremony," Frostwind sighed. "Let's see if they have anything to challenge him about there."

"You used to challenge him quite a lot," Hickorysnarl meowed pointedly.

"I know," Frostwind smiled at the fond memory. "I would love to continue, but I feel like that isn't what we need right now. I know Amberfrost and Branchclaw have the Clan's best interests at heart, but they're tearing the Clan apart to do it."

"Let all cats gather here for the Clan meeting!"

Frostwind frowned and trudged outside. She had been allowed to leave the medicine den and get some exercise, and she had even gone hunting with Skyfeather a few times. But she was not allowed to resume warrior duties and could only hunt about once a week. It was odd because Stonestar had called the Clan meeting in the middle of camp, and he was standing on the roof of the warrior's den.

"What is he thinking?" Hickorysnarl muttered unhappily. She had never gotten over the horrid name he had given her. 

"Mouse-brained ideas, I'd bet," Frostwind meowed darkly as she dashed over to the warrior's den.