Chapter Seventy Seven

Start from the beginning

*****

Everyone aboard the Lady stepped forward to congratulate the Earl and his new Countess; the Duke and Duchess at the fore. Arianna hugged and kissed both of her parents, as well as Alejandro, Carmelita, and Roman before she slipped her hand back into Derek's and they received congratulations from the crews.

Once the din began to quiet, the Duchess began ushering those who had already extended their well wishes towards the long tables both ship's kitchens had covered with a tempting array of dishes. Dinner was passed sitting on deck wherever one could find room.

The Duke and Duchess, Derek and Arianna, along with Alejandro and Carmelita, all sat at a table on the top deck, enjoying their repast along with the sunset.

Quite a few of the white trailing clouds were taking on pink, purple and red hues, painting the sky like a canvas. As more time passed the colors deepened into darker reds and blazing yellows. The spectators to this heavenly display watched as the sun finally made it's descent below the horizon.

The stars began to appear as the deck was cleared and prepared for dancing. The crewmen who played instruments retrieved them and began tuning, readying themselves for the opening dance.

The Duke descended to the main deck and stood in the middle of the cleared area.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am a most proud and happy man on this joyous occasion. I have the honor of presenting the Earl and Countess of Trent for their first dance."

He bowed and swept his hand toward the steps, where Derek and Arianna were descending, hands clasped, eyes only for each other. They took their place, in turn bowing and curtsying to one another before Derek pulled Arianna into his arms and they stood smiling at one another.

The music began and all eyes were fastened upon the radiantly beautiful bride and her proud, handsome husband.

Alejandro stood against the rail and watched his Captain's smiling face as Derek tilted his head down to speak to Arianna. The first mate saw the blush that tinted her cheeks and watched her lower her eyes to Derek's shirtfront in an attempt to retain her composure.

It seemed his Captain was a little eager for the reception to be over and to have his bride alone. Alejandro grinned and excused himself to his wife who stood at his side.

"I am going below to our cabin for a moment, I shall return immediately."

He pressed a kiss to her lips before striding to the stairs that would take him below decks, where he had a fine box of cigars for no better occasion than this.

When Alejandro returned, he found Derek leaning against the rail watching Arianna dance with her father. Alejandro stopped to take Carmelita's hand and bring her with him. They approached Derek and Alejandro issued his first cigar.

They watched together, smoking the fine tobacco, as the dance ended and Arianna was approached by Mickey. He was blushing and stammering until Arianna took him by the hands, smiling her favor upon him. They watched the boy puff up with pride and do an admirable job of leading Arianna around the deck, both of them grinning at each other, as their plans had finally come full circle and she was now the Captain's bride.

As Captain Daniels approached to congratulate the groom, Alejandro lead his wife out onto the makeshift dance floor.

Carmelita's eyes sparkled up at her husband as he took her in his arms and began to lead her through the proper steps.

"Hmm.." a thoughtful look crossed Carmelita's face as she smoothed an impossibly small piece of lint from her husband's shoulder. Her eyes lifted back to his and there was a mischievous light shining in them. "I wonder.."

"Sí, mi armor?"

The corners of Carmelita's lips tilted up, "If one would consider this our second first dance?"

Alejandro's smile grew as he pulled his wife closer to him, "It might be. If one does not count our play on the beach before that lovely swim upon the island."

A blush spread across Carmelita's cheeks as she warmed with memories from that afternoon, but her eyes never wavered from her husband's.

"I had almost forgotten about that day." She declared with a mocking tilt to her chin.

Alejandro tilted his head back and laughed, "Then perhaps you need reminding, hmm?"

Not caring what attention he may receive Alejandro dropped his lips to the sensitive column of his wife's throat and tasted her delectable flesh until she shivered in his arms.

With a mocking smile Alejandro pulled back to look down in his wife's desire filled eyes.

"You are a devil, husband mine." Carmelita breathed as she fought desperately to control her heart rate.

"Nay," Alejandro chuckled, "Only a tease, my love. A promise we may both fulfill later." In a practiced movement, Alejandro bent and blew cold air across the flesh still damp from his kiss. His eyes returned to hers as the music ended and another shiver ran down her spine.

"However, there are things I must do before I surrender myself to you, love." With a quick kiss pressed to Carmelita's lips, Alejandro lead her from the floor and to their son, patting the cigars in his pocket along the way. He sent Roman a wink as they approached the boy.

"Mamà, will you dance with me?" Roman asked, correctly picking up the cue his father had given him earlier.

Carmelita looked from her husband to her son, and back again, knowing she was being diverted though seeing no way out. With a smile and a shake of her head, Carmelita laughed at her husband and took her son's hand, allowing the boy to lead her back out onto the floor.

Alejandro grinned as he watched them go. His eyes traveled along the deck until he spotted Thomas Bell standing amongst a few crewmen.

Now it was time to set his plan into motion. With his cigars in hand, Alejandro set about irritating his best friend and his new wife in one fell swoop.

*****

Kathleen and William had found a comfortable place to sit upon the steps leading to the topmost deck. They each held a glass of French sparkling wine and they were watching the others dancing upon the deck.

"Would you like to dance again, Kat?" William leaned his face down to ask her intimately and she turned her face quickly stealing a kiss from his lips.

"Nay, my love, I've had my dance with you, and the crew has kept me busy with the shortage of ladies aboard." She kissed him quickly again, twice, then smiled roguishly and whispered, "You know what I would really care to do?"

"Hmmmmm...." The Duke raised his eyebrows. He was very interested in whatever this amazing woman wanted from him, " I can only guess." He grinned, grasping her chin with his fingertips, he covered her lips with his own. He kissed her thoroughly, yet softly, letting her know where his own thoughts had gone.

She swatted at his chest lightly, chortling her pleasure, before looking down at the deck and smiling very happily, she replied, "Well, yes, there is that," she continued laughing softly, but then her eyes shot up to his. "I want to fire some cannons." She grinned at him and looked at him very secretively. "I need Alejandro though, and I cannot steal him at the moment! I am just so grateful, and full of joy to have you back, and to see my daughter so happy also."

Her eyes shifted to Arianna who was dancing and laughing with her new husband. The duchess' eyes filled with love and happiness. "I feel I need to express this joy with some explosions."

She looked at William, and he could see the mischief in her eyes, "You fired the cannons to stop my ship, didn't you?" He asked of her.

She bobbed her head up and down, "Oh yes, I was very desperate to stop you!"
He laughed and kissed her again. "What do you say we cross over to the Merry Kathleen and I let you shoot off something a little more... festive rather than startling?"

"Oh my, yes!" Kathleen jumped up and drained her glass. "Come along dear, once you have a good idea you must act upon it immediately." She took his glass from him and drank his wine also, then set the glasses to the side.

The Duke stared at her for a second in surprise, then he laughed and let her pull him up by the hands, wherein he released her then picked her up in his arms. He strode past the newlyweds, slowing to smile and wink at the couple, as he proceeded to carry his wife to his own ship.

*****

Arianna watched her parents leave and turned back to grin at Derek. "This has been beyond wonderful, my love. I am so glad that we married here, with all the people who have been a part of us coming together, rather than in a church surrounded by those who only wish to see and be seen."

Derek gazed down at his wife. His wife. His pride swelled beyond belief at the thought. Unfortunately for Derek, his pride was not the only thing that swelled, being glad for her voluminous skirts that shielded the lower half of his body from all the others on deck.

"Eh, what?" Derek laughingly mocked, trying to cool his ardor, "The new Countess does not resent the lack of peers around?"

Arianna laughed happily, "Not in the least," with a blush she tested the new title she had rights to call him, "Husband."

*****

As Alejandro stepped away from Thomas Bell a whistle of success trailing from his lips, he could all but feel the heat radiating from the newlywed couple as they danced while gazing lovingly into one another's eyes. His grin grew to massive proportions as he spotted Captain Daniels near the Lady's helm. Making his way over, Alejandro went about recruiting another ally for his mischief.

*****

William set Kathleen on her feet after gaining the deck of the merchant ship. He took her hand and lead her to his cabin where he handed her two glasses, then he picked up a bottle of sparkling wine that had been chilling for a different reason. He smiled as he recalled he had assumed they would be drinking it unclothed later in the evening.

She never had failed to surprise him, the memories were coming back stronger, of the adventurous days early on in their marriage. The things she would do, the way she was so loving, but impulsive. Yet decisive, she had always been so sure that whatever she wanted was the right thing, and she had always been determined to have her way.

She was right of course, as being with her again made him remember the joy and love their lives had been abundantly filled with. It was what had made her absence so unbearable. To have her back, to finally be in her presence, was to have all of his prayers answered. He smiled at her and gestured towards the hallway, "Shall we?"

"Yes, let's!" Kathleen grinned, and made her way to the hall, waiting as William closed the door. He then placed his hand at her waist and lead her below, to the hull of the ship where cargo was stored. He had spied a bit of merchandise that Captain Daniels had acquired in the orient on his previous voyage, and had not yet sold, before the Duke had bid him to ready the ship. He rather thought his wife would be extremely pleased.

As William unlocked the door to the cargo hold, Kathleen reached up and took the lantern from the wall. They moved into the room and she held the light high. The Duke moved past the cargo they had taken aboard that had belonged to Bailey, to the cargo that belonged to him. The Duke found the crate he was looking for, after he set the wine and glasses he carried atop the next crate, he pried the top off the chosen one with a long metal bar. He motioned Kathleen close and she peered inside the crate.

"Oh, William, are those what I think they are?"

"Indeed, my love, fireworks from the orient."

The Duchess all but erupted with joy, clasping her hands together and grinning, invoking a smile and a deep chuckle from her husband. William stepped close and lifted his wife's lips to his to show her once more how grateful he was to have her back.

When he was finished, he poured them a glass of wine and toasted, "To my maker, for giving you to me twice in my life now, to you, my love, for still being the wonderful woman I married, and to our daughter and new son in law, may they have joy, love, peace and contentment, and may they give us many beautiful grandchildren."

They looked at each other with tears in their eyes, "Oh, amen to that William." They each raised their glass, the glasses tinkling as they met halfway, before sipping from their wine.

William then handed his glass and the wine bottle to his wife before filling his arms full of the tar covered cylinders attached to long sticks with wicks ready to light.

He turned to his wife and nodded suggestively towards the door they had come through, "Shall we?"

*****

A blast rent the air, followed by a whistle, then crackling and all turned their eyes towards the sound of the spectacle. A glorious shower of multicolored twinkling stars fell from the sky, descending slowly into the ocean below. Everyone gasped at the beautiful sight. The children cheered and ran to the rail to get the best view they possibly could.

Arianna laughed joyfully as Captain Daniels addressed the gathering on deck. "Tis a celebration of the marriage, may you both carry the joy you feel today into every day in your future!" The Captain had had a few glasses of rum and was feeling very amicable, other than missing his own loving, loyal wife at home. "To the Earl and Countess!"

The revelers cheered as another explosion rent the air, the twinkling lights appearing again.

Arianna had a glass or two of sparkling wine herself and was feeling quite happy with the notion of fireworks at her wedding. She laughed at Captain Daniels' opportunity to toast them and came about with one of her own. "And that display celebrates the wisdom and impatience of the groom!" She announced to all present while continuing to laugh, gesturing to Derek with a wide sweep of her hand.

All aboard cheered and stomped amid yells of 'here here' and toasts to the lucky bridegroom. Derek grinned at her humor and raised an eyebrow, "I'll show you impatience woman, just you wait." He said under his breath for her ears alone.

She blushed and laughed, little did he know how impatient she was also to be alone with him.

Then a third firework blast split the air and all aboard raised their eyes to the heavens.

"That one was a tribute to the bride, a beauty to be sure, but a more brave, courageous woman no man could ever ask for." Derek announced to the crowd. As they erupted in cheer, a blast of fireworks took off from the top deck of the Lady.

Everyone's eyes swiveled to watch the twinkling colors as Alejandro stepped forward to the rail of the top deck. He'd had a few sparklers of his own.

"To my Captain and dearest friend, I wish a long, happy life with this most beautiful and fiery woman. We have both come to love her as family." Derek nodded as they lifted their glasses to her and drank to the toast. Alejandro continued, "Countess, I am overjoyed to hand the Captain into your care, I know you will care for him and love him well, giving him many children to keep him busy and out of trouble, and to care for him in his old age." This was said with a grin at the couple before he bent to light another, then gestured to them both as a larger blast rent the air, showering down silver stars, "Many years of happiness to you both!"

Again the crowd cheered and drank from their mugs, the music resumed and they began dancing through the firework blasts. The children watched with sleepy smiles and were soon taken off to bed when the fireworks were done.

*****

Derek whirled Arianna around deck to the waltz he hoped would be their last. He had a need to be alone with his bride. She also seemed a bit eager to be alone with him, as she simply gazed at him, smiling into his eyes. By God, but he was blessed indeed, she felt like heaven in his arms and he knew it could be so much more heavenly if he could just get her away.

He traced her cheek with his fingertip and for lack of anything to say that did not directly imply taking her to bed, he simply asked, "Are you tired?"  He could have kicked himself instantly, he did not want her to be tired, he did not want to even put the idea in her head that she might be tired. His frustration was starting to show, he thought.

"Not really," she answered, "and if I had been, the fireworks sure would have woken me up." She laughed softly, still lovingly gazing into his eyes.

Alright, enough, Derek thought, I must have her alone now.

The music finally ended. Derek started to escort her from the deck to the steps leading down to the Captain's hallway. He placed his hand on her waist and led her that way, halfway, almost all the way. Then Alejandro materialized in front of them.

"Ah, my lord, my lady, may I please beg the honor of a dance before you are finished for the evening?" Alejandro bowed in front of Arianna and held out his hand. She turned her laughing eyes to Derek, shrugged her shoulders and took the hand Alejandro offered. Alejandro then whirled her back onto the floor.

*****

Derek tamped down his impatience, it was Alejandro after all, and for the life of him, he could not recollect if his first mate had had a dance with his bride yet. He remembered patience was a virtue and it was only one dance. He and Arianna would have the entire night, once Alejandro had finished his dance.

The music ended and Derek started forward to reclaim his bride when she was approached by Thomas Bell, who bowed and offered her his hand. Derek watched her smile graciously and accept Thomas' suit, allowing the man to pull her into his arms and sweep her across the floor into the next dance.

Derek did an about face and went to the rail where Alejandro stood watching the dancing couples. "It's a fine thing when a man can't even get a moment alone with his new wife." Derek grumbled.

Alejandro hid his grin behind his mug and made a sound of agreement, seeming to sympathize with the impatient bridegroom. He saw Captain Daniels awaiting his turn to claim the bride and keep Derek waiting even longer. He raised his mug towards his Captain."To wedded bliss, my friend. I am ecstatic you found the woman you were meant to be with." Alejandro's amusement was hidden well behind a joyous facade.

"Yes, wedded bliss." Derek repeated, his sole focus on the woman he wanted to pick up and carry off to his cabin and experience this bliss with, right this moment.

Alejandro just looked at him and laughed, "Yes, my friend, exactly that." Alejandro laughed again, seeing his plan was working wonderfully, he found his wife and swept her onto the floor, noticing the Captain of the Kathleen had claimed the bride for a dance, as the groom fumed.

******

Derek realized what was going on after two more dances, every man claiming his new wife's hand had tossed a cigar overboard before coming forward to claim her. He glared at Alejandro's back and heaped molten fire upon his head, figuratively, of course. He would pay, not tonight, tonight Derek had other plans, but soon, his first mate would pay for this.

Derek was ready this time, before the song ended he found the next man tossing his cigar over the rail and stopped him with a hand on his arm. "It is over, no more." He simply stated. He strode forward onto the dance floor making his way to Arianna. He picked her up and smiling and nodding to the few remaining couples, he carried her directly to his cabin, allowing for no obstacles or delays.

He opened the door and carried her inside, shouldering the door closed behind him. She smiled up at him as he lowered her feet to the ground and taking her up in an embrace, he kissed her senseless.

Arianna melted into her husband's embrace, surrendering herself to the desire that had grown mutually between them coming to it's fulfillment in this very moment. The thought startled Arianna back to her senses.

"Derek?" Arianna pulled back to look into his eyes. She saw the liquid blue fire of his desire pooled there.

"Yes, my wife?" He asked as his lips dipped to the curve of her shoulder.
Once again Arianna lost touch with all of her senses save the feel of his lips against her skin.

"Please, do not stop." She sighed as she surrendered her body to her husband.
Derek did not dare to stop, but neither did he hurry as he explored his wife's body, eventually bringing them both to full understanding of their marital bliss.