CHAPTER XXVI

ADLEY

By the time the Austrian Grand Prix rolled around a few days later, and I've been judged to the hills and back by Lando and Oxland, I was more excited than ever to see how the dynamic on the grid had changed.

"So, are you like a couple? Are they going to be tagging you as a WAG all weekend?" Oxland mocks.

"I hate that word" I scoff in amusement. "And no, I don't think we are a couple, but like, I don't know. It just feels, different"I shrug.

Since I arrived in Austria, Charles and I had spent every waking minute either calling or messaging one another. It was back to how things were when I thought he was 'Lee', but this time it all felt different.

"I am excited to see him though" I gush.

Oxland makes a fake vomit sound beside me as we get organised to head off to the paddock.

"What?" I groan as I can see it written all over her face. "As my best friend, what?" I encourage.

She let's out a deep sigh. "It's, I don't know Ad" she stutters.

Attaching the new gold hoop earrings that arrived the day after I landed from Charles to my ears before picking up the straightener and running it through my hair.

"That for one" she comments.

"What?' I ask confused.

"Look at yourself in the mirror, Ads and tell me what you see?" She instructs.

I stand back slightly from the free standing full length mirror.

"I'm not understanding?" I ponder.

"Look at what you're wearing Ads"

I gaze down at my outfit. A pair of black, parachute, cargo pants over a white body suit and white doc martins. My hair is straighten with a part down the middle, minimal make up and my gold hoop earrings.

"You don't like it?" I ask, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

"I do like it, the outfit is hot and you look absolutely stunning. But Ads, compared to how you dressed two weeks ago, and who you're dressing for, it concerns me" she admits.

"I'm not dressing for him" I mumble.

"You know what I mean" she deadpans, titling her head downward at me.

Turning back to my reflection, I run my fingers through my hair and down the length of my body.

Oxland comes up behind me, wrapping her hands around my waist and resting her head against my back. "I love you, okay. I just don't want to see you get hurt"

"I know, I love you too" I appreciate. "Do I need to change?" I chuckle.

"You don't have time to change" she mocks, bringing her phone around the front of me to see the time displayed on the screen.

"Oh shit" I gasp, peeling myself away from her arms.

As soon as we make it to the track, I feel a different presence around me. I don't know if it's just because of everything that happened, or something else, but I don't feel invisible anymore.