Chapter Twenty-two

Absolutely nothing compares to playoff hockey.

The grit, blood, sweat, and tears that are shown and expressed on every one of those men on the ice, whether physically on the ice or sitting waiting to be put in, is second to none, and it's even better on home ice.

Always remember: Take warning.

For the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Hurricanes had home ice advantage with being the one seed for the Metropolitan Division in the Eastern Conference, and they faced the New York Islanders, who were the first wild card team.

Before the game, the significant others to each of the Hurricanes' players went out and had a lovely dinner together. We had also gotten white playoff jackets courtesy of a local Raleigh business, and they looked absolutely stunning. They also had the player's home country's flag on the left sleeve to compliment the jacket, adding a hint of personality to each one.

"Is everyone excited?!" exclaimed Hailey, who was Brady Skjei's girlfriend.

"Duh!!" Most of the girls responded, but I was sipping on my ice cold glass of water. Not that I wasn't excited, I just felt bad that I didn't show my enthusiasm for the playoffs.

"Are you okay, Delilah?" asked Ella, who was my brother's new girlfriend. I honestly liked Whitney better, but I'm not trying to be a dick. Ella was also really nice, but perhaps I don't really care for her right now because I don't really know her too much yet. My brother and her have been dating for the last week and a half, after all.

I shrugged. "Yeah, I'm fine. I was just taking a sip of my water and I didn't want to choke," I chuckled as I set the condensating glass on its coaster.

Ella giggled. "Understandable," she responded.

I forced myself to smile, then glanced at the menu in front of me. Everything was so expensive, but everything looked really good. Maybe a forty-five dollar bowl of shrimp fettuccine alfredo would be worth my huge appetite.

My phone buzzed on the table, so I glanced at it to see what it was for.

How's the dinner going? Andrei texted.

I sighed and set the menu back down on the table and picked my phone up to text him back. I guess he had nothing better to do before he had to stink up the house with his strong cologne and blind everyone's eyes with his suits.

It's going okay, I think I'm having some anxiety though  I texted back, then I immediately saw that Andrei had read the message after I had sent it.

Do you want to talk about it? What are you feeling anxious about? He responded.

Ansa started talking about God knows what, but all I was focused on was my phone and talking to Andrei while everyone else blabbered away.

My fingers started to type away to think of a response, then I pressed send.

I don't know. Maybe it's just the playoffs. I'm super excited

I glanced up to look out the floor-to-ceiling window, admiring the wonderful shrubbery and flowers decorating the exterior of the elegant restaurant.

My phone vibrated briefly, then I saw that Andrei got back to me.

Lol me too. Are you sure it's because you're not close to most of the girls?

I sighed and thought of how to respond. He was right. I hardly was close to any of these girls except for Sophia, Ansa, and maybe Ella. Not to mention all of them looked like models and bombshells compared to me. I looked like I didn't belong there in terms of beauty, and I was only there because I was dating a Hurricanes player.