42

Days passed by and now it was nearing mid-June. Chabashira walked into homeroom that morning, looking like she always did, and then she planted her hands firmly on the lectern in front. "It's nearing your summer vacation. Today we'll be discussing your next special exam."

The class's atmosphere dropped faster than a pin ever could.

"From August 4th to August 11th, you can enjoy the cruise ship to your heart's content. Eight days and seven nights, you can splurge and pamper yourselves. There will be no special exam on the cruise ship during this time period."

Quiet sighs of relief circled around the room.

"But in order to enjoy this cruise ship, you must successfully pass the special exam first."

And then they were replaced with looks of narrowed eyes and turning gears.

Chabashira rose an eyebrow. "Looks like you're learning."

Hirata rose a hand. "Sensei, when will the special exam begin?"

"Usually, special exams occur close to when they are discussed. But unfortunately, your next special exam is still a few weeks away. It will be held during summer vacation. You will all have to participate in the Uninhabited Island Exam and compete against each other for the top spot."

Some students shifted in their seats as last year's disaster of a vacation breezed through their minds. Chabashira noticed. "You all likely remember the island exam from last year, but the exam this year is quite different from the previous one. It will probably tougher, harder, and more unforgiving compared to any other exam that you've faced so far. Of course, that also means the rewards if you score well are higher and more desirable, too."

"I'll now go over the schedule in detail. And don't worry about taking notes; you can check them on your school tablet."

Chabashira clicked on the monitor, and a word document appeared on the screen.

July 19: Gather at the sports field, travel to the port, and board the ship.

July 20: Start of the Special Exam; exam explanation and distribution of supplies.

August 3: End of the Special Exam; announcement of rankings on the ship and distribution of rewards.

Private points for August will be awarded after the uninhabited island exam.

August 4: Free day on the cruise.

August 11: Arrival at the port, return to school, and dismissal.

"Sensei, based on our schedule won't our summer vacation end up being very short?" Someone asked.

"Unfortunately, we cannot make up for lost time. This schedule's dates are final and locked in place." Chabashira continued on. "However, as compensation, you get to stay on week on the luxury cruise ship. Depending on how you think about it, it will make up for the two weeks of summer vacation that you've lost, as your time on the cruise ship is purely for enjoyment and relaxation."

"Now, back to the topic at hand, although the uninhabited island exam was held last year, the main difference between the two can be depicted as 'scale'. The duration of the exam will be held for two weeks, and the space used for the exam will be much larger than before."

She scrolled down in the document to reveal the map of an island. "Also, you won't just be competing with the students in your year, but with the whole school."

The temperature in the class dropped once again. Hirata raised his hand, "Wouldn't that be rather... unfair for the first years?" 

"I understand your perspective, Hirata, but in advance, I'll tell you that no exam will ever be 100% fair." Chabashira stated. "Now, in order to understand the rules of the special exam, you have to comprehend the groups."