Chapter 10: epilogue

Mu Qing had laughed in Feng Xin's face when he'd asked what part of the wedding preparations the Palace of Nan Yang would oversee.

"...you don't have to laugh so hard."

"I can't breathe," Mu Qing had wept.

This started a strange fight where Feng Xin was mad and stomping and cursing and demanding to know what was so funny, and Mu Qing was crying and laughing and couldn't speak.

"You like how my palace is decorated! Were you lying? Why can't my people plan a wedding?!"

"You think those are similar!" Mu Qing wept, holding onto a pillar for support.

"I do banquets all the time!"

"Please," he begged amid tears. "You're killing me."

"You liked me killing you last night," said Feng Xin, switching weapons. This was very effective and got Mu Qing to gasp to a stop.

Mu Qing's eyes were wide, and all of him was red. They had been wandering around his palace, Mu Qing vaguely running away from his fiancé because he was making him laugh and instinctively trying to flee his hilarious words. They hadn't minded Mu Qing's disciples milling around, Feng Xin didn't notice, and Mu Qing wanted more people to hear this.

But he regretted this decision and put his hands over Feng Xin's mouth. "St-stop that!"

After their first night together, Mu Qing did not let the other do more than kiss him.

Why?

Because Hua Cheng had remarked: I'm surprised, I thought someone like him wouldn't allow it before marriage.

It hadn't been a criticism or a compliment. It was a simple, neutral statement. But it had alarmed and rattled around in Mu Qing's mind uncontrollably until he told Feng Xin they couldn't do it again until they were married.

Pei Ming had heard somehow and liked making remarks as if Feng Xin was on his deathbed. "I'll light incense for you," he'd say, squeezing his shoulder sympathetically.

On the one hand, yes, Feng Xin could make him a mess just by kissing. On the other hand, they hadn't done anything more, and 'killing' sounded like way more...!

Feng Xin put his hands around his waist. "Let me help."

Mu Qing's lips pressed together tightly as if this was the only way to stop himself from laughing again.

"Really?!" Feng Xin demanded.

Mu Qing made a small whimper to steady himself. "Okay. How about this? We'll do a little test. You bring the ones you'd put in charge of food, clothes, seating, decor, everything. I'll bring mine, and we'll see who can make the best choices."

Mu Qing could tell he'd already won. Feng Xin had a look on his face that plainly said: '...I don't have anyone in mind' and 'Should those all be different people?' and 'seating...?'

But since he was so insistent about it, Mu Qing would kick his ass.

___

Ling Wen's Palace acted as the neutral ground, impartial judge, and source of test material, setting out an arrangement of foods, clothing, stationery, hair accessories, and all manner of other things required for a wedding.

It seemed like everyone in Heaven had heard about this test and came to watch, squeezing in among Ling Wen's towers of scrolls, the two sides separated by a big red ribbon tied between two pillars. On the right was the Palace of Xuan Zhen, a sea of men in blue and black, with hair in high tails. On the left was the Palace of Nan Yang in black and red-orange, their hair kept in touji* that matched their general.