THE FIRST CUT IS THE DEEPEST

Start from the beginning

The problem is, I don't know where the line is yet.

Before he could respond I dropped what I had in my hands and kissed him.
"So, yes?" He said as we pulled a part
"I didn't say that. I said I would think about it." I said as the elevator doors opened.

"You the surgeon?" A nurse asked me.
"Yes." I said and a second later Meredith entered the room too.
"We've got a rape victim. You better get in there. 21-year-old female found down at the park, status: post-trauma, she came in with a GCS of 6, BP 80 over 60, head trauma, unequal breath sounds, right pupil is dilated, and she's ready for x-ray. You ready to roll?"

"Call it in to clear CT, let them know I'm coming, load up the portable monitor, call respiratory for a ventilator, I'll get x-rays while we're down there." I said and saw that Meredith was staring at the girl's shoes. "You good?" I asked she nodded.

We scrubbed in the surgery. Derek and Burke were talking.
"She's going to spend a hell of a lot of time in recovery and rehab." Said Derek
Burke: "If she survives."
"What is she, like, 5'2, a hundred pounds, she's still breathing after what this guy did to her? "If they catch the guy, they should castrate him."
"See how her hands are? She tried to fight back."
"Tried to? rape kit came back negative. She kicked his ass."
"So, we have a warrior among us, huh?"
"Alison. Her - her name is Alison."
"Alison."
"I think I may have found the cause of our rupture. (pulls out a piece of flesh) What is this? Does anyone know what this is?"
"Oh god."
"What? Spit it out, Parks."
"She bit it off."
"Oh my god" said Meredith understanding.
"Bit off what?"
"That's his...his penis. She bit off his penis." I said.

I was heading to the chief's office with the cooler with penis inside. "Hi, is the chief in?"
"He's on his way. Is that it?" Said a woman
"Yeah."
"Can I see it?" I raised my eyebrows. "No, forget I asked."
The Chief entered. "Tara, how are you doing? You know you you were one of the best on file. And so far you don't disappoint.
"Oh, well I'm glad. so they said to bring this to you, so...?
"Yes, for the police."
"Right."
"When did the police say they'll come?" He asked the woman.
"You know how slow they are. So, she'd better take it with her."
"What?"
"You have to take it with you."
Chain of custody rules. All medical matter and array must stay with the person who collected it, until it's placed in police custody."
"You collected the specimen, so you have custody."
"Custody of a penis. Technically I didn't collect it I just identified it."
"Yes well is under your custody now. Until the cops come for it.
"Okay. Well, what am I supposed to do with the penis?" No one answered.

I was looking over the victim when Derek came over. "I've called every hospital in the county. Sooner or later, the guy that did this is going to seek medical attention, and when he does, that penis you're carrying around is going to nail him"
"Where is her family?"
"Doesn't have any."
"No siblings?
"No. Both parents are dead. She just moved to Seattle three weeks ago. Welcome to the city. Tara, you okay?"
"Yeah. I'm fine, It's just...it's nothing. I'm sorry, I got to go."

I found Meredith and Cristina in the lobby.
"What're you doing down here?" Cristina asked me.
"Just passing the time here with my penis. What about you two?
"Hiding from Alex."
"I slept with Tim."
"I kissed Derek."
"Am I the only one not getting any action? You kissed Derek and you slept with Tim.?
"In the elevator."
"On the on call room"
"Oh, you kissed him in the elevator. And seriously? The on-call room.?"
"I was having a bad day. I am having a bad day." Said Meredith
"Yeah, me too."
"Oh, so this is what you do on your bad days. Make out with Dr. McDreamy. And have sex with Dr. McHottie.
"Well, that, and you know, carrying around a penis just makes everything seem so more bright." I said sarcastically. "George said Alison was wearing your shoes."
"Yeah. It's weird, right?"
"It's weird that you care."
"I think it's weird. What do you think?" She asked me
"I think it's sad. She has no one. If she survives she'll have a log road to recovery and she'll have to go through it alone."

We heard a car swerve and, looking through the glass we see a man is staggering out of his car, his clothes soaked in blood, mainly around his crotch...
"That's the guy."

In the OR
"I saw Alison, you can't believe the beating that she took. And then to see this..." said Meredith.
"It's like that old saying, you should see the other guy." Said Cristina
"Why are we not attempting to reattach the severed penis?" Asked Bailey.
"Teeth don't slice, they tear, you can only reattach with a clean cut. If she wanted to slice him off with a Knife..." I said.
"Besides, the digestive juices didn't leave much of the flesh to work with." Added Meredith.
"Right, so what do we do?"
"Sew him up minus a large part of the family jewels." Said Cristina
"And his outlook?"
"He'll be urinating out of a bag for a very, very long time."
"Not to mention he'll never be able to have sex again."
"Oh, too bad."
"How terrible"
"Shame."
"Let's all take a moment to grieve. Clamp." Finished Bailey.

"This is really not my day. So the police say that they can't send down the crime scene guy for hours. So I have to spend the night with a penis. Alex, don't say it." I said
"Ahh, it was too easy anyway."
"And on top of that, I just got a call from my landlord, my apartment flooded which means I'm homeless."
I turned to Meredith.
"Don't even think about it." She said.
"Come on, I'm the perfect roommate. I'm never home, so we won't have to talk outside of work and I make a killer coffee. Besides it would only be temporary, you know until I can find my own place."
She stared at me. "Fine. You can move in."
"Seriously? She can move in, but we can't?" Said Izzy.
"Yes."
"Who here feels like they have no idea what they're doing? Asked George
Everyone rose their hands, except Alex.
"I mean, are we supposed to be learning something, because I don't feel like I'm learning anything." Continued George
"Except how not to sleep." Said Izzy
"It's like there's this wall, and the attendings and the residents are over there, being surgeons, and we're over here, being..." started Cristina
"Suturing, code running, lab delivering penis-minders." Finished Tara
"I hate being an intern." Concluded Alex
Bailey comes in and looks expectant. So we get up and leave.

I went to check up on Alison. "How is she?" I asked Derek.
"No change"
"Have you been here all night?"
"Mm-hmm. Yup. You know I have four sisters? Very girly, tons of kids. If I was in a coma, they'd all be here. I'd want them here. Having no one? Can't imagine that."
"I can. I can't stop thinking that if something were to happen to me... no one would come."
"I'm sorry."
"It's okay" I gave him a sad smile.
"So... Have you decided—"
The machines started beeping. I hit the alarm on the wall.
"Her ICP's double, get OR! Put her in for a craniotomy."

Later. Am looking at Alison from the outside of her room and Derek passes by.
"Hey. I, uh, I had to leave her skull flap off, till the pressure in her brain goes down." He said
"Is she going to make it?"
"She's going to be fine.
"If she ever wakes up."
"If she ever wakes up." He said nodding.

Well at least I'm finally signing for the penis.
"So here is where you put the signature, down here, the initials." Said the woman.
"Okay."
"It...just says that the, um...the..." stammered the Chief
"Penis." Finished the woman
He laughed. "I'm a doctor, it shouldn't be weird to say this, but you know... It just says that it was never out of sight."
" I get it. There you go. One penis."
"Officer." The police officer takes it and they go.

Some times the line is blurry, and sometimes doing something brave or risky is confused with stupidity. Who knows maybe it is stupidly. But life is messy. We humans cross the line all the time, maybe so to point we don't know it's there anymore...

"YES! Yes!" Celebrated George
"I can't believe you caved!" George and Izzie hug
"I can't believe I caved." Said Meredith
"Well if it makes feel any better you won't have to deal with those idiots alone." I said.
"Thanks." She laughed

There are other times when you need to take the risk to decide whether it's stupid or brave. And even if it is stupid, it could be worth it.

I arrived to the elevator where Derek was waiting.
"So have you decided"
"I have."
"And?"
"I caved. I'll go out with you." We entered the elevator.
"Really?"
"Yeah. Are you changing your mind?"
"Hell no" he kissed me. But it's wasn't like last time. It was soft, it was sweet and I never wanted it to stop.

Scary, isn't it?

A/N: Hi everyone I hope you're enjoying the story. I nicknamed Tim McHottie, but I don't like it so if you have suggestions please tell me. Anything is better.