Bakery

Camden town, 2 years post war, 1920
(Killian - 19 year old)

(Alfie's P.O.V.)
I walk into the bakery and make my way to my office. Killian's office was located next to mine. I could see through the glass that he was in his office. So I decided to go inside to greet him. His office was dark, like it usual is. Killian has some remaining vision in the eye that had not been shot. He can see some shapes with the help of light in that eye. But because he now also memorized his office by touch and feel. He doesn't nessecarily need light to see. And therefor he often doesn't even bother turning his office light on. The only light that there was, came from the bakery as it seeped through the office window. But it was very little and didn't even light up half of his office. I noticed Killian was hovering over the table that was covered with the miniature model. The model is a scale replica of Camden Town which we reside in. The model contains scale replicas of Camden Town's famous market, the houses and pubs that are located next to Regent's Canal. There’s the cathedral with its perforated spire. The row after row of canal houses studded with broken chimneys. The market that was a maze of stalls with food, clothes and animals. Killian ran his finger along the centimeter-wide path that represented Camden Road. He finds the way up to the market and runs his finger along it. Past the many miniature stalls. If people saw him right know they would question if he actually was blind. After all, he knew this city better than any seeing person ever could. Killian was smart and could memorize things very quickly. And the miniature town on this table was a way he memorized and could navigate in the real town so effortlessly. He finds his way to one of the largest scale buildings on the table. "All Saints Cathedral" he whispered to himself, as his finger walked over the semi-circular portico of the holy building. He probably has been marching his fingers along that model for many hours today. I shifted on my spot and immediatly saw him stop his movement. Me shifting on my spot probably had made a very soft sound that he picked up on. He was like a dog picking up a sound with his ears. Lifted his head up slightly to find out exactly where the sound came from.

 Lifted his head up slightly to find out exactly where the sound came from

I stayed completely still, just watching him trying to figure it out. I could see the gears turn in his head. But then a smirk formed on his face and he returned exploring his miniature town "good morning, brother". "Yeah, it is" I said and walked inside and turned the light on, so that I can see. I continued and halted beside my younger brother and looked down at his miniature Camden Town. "Apart from the fact that it is actually the afternoon" I told him and turned my head at him. I could see him think for a second before he shrugged "time is irrelevant to the blind anyway". "How?" I questioned my brother, "because I can't see a clock" he told me in a duh voice. I roll my eyes and watch him walk his finger along the other buildingd. Meanwhile I decided to pick up one of the small wooden replica to take a look at it. "Did you just take the bakery?" Killian questioned in disbelief. I turned my head at him. He wasn't looking at me, just looked straigt ahead. I watcged his arm move and I looked down at the table. Where I saw that he was touching the spot where the bakery replica had stood before I had taken it. Which was now empty, making Killian slightly confused. With his other hand he felt around the model and confirmed the other names of the building that neighboured around our shop. "You did! Give it back before you break it" he angrily growled extending his hand out in the direction he thought I was. I chuckled and handed him the bakery model back "don't act like you hate me". "You're right. You bring me so much joy" he told me as he placed the bakery model back in its rightfull place, "as soon as you leave this room and leave me alone". "You and your precious alone time" I commented shaking my head, "my alone time is for your safety". Killian and his bloody wit and sarcasm. Whenever you think you have the last word, he will always find a way to have the last word himself. But beside his wit, Killian is also violent and unpredictable. He may be blind, but he always seems to know where the person is standing that belittled him. He uses his intelligence to calculate blindly in this world of the seeing. With his violent and unpredictable mannerism he easily intimidates and dominate everyone around him. This was the reason he was also respected, yet feared, in the fighting ring of Camden Town. He may have lost fights in the beginning, but once he figured out how to fight blind. He became undefeated. "So apart from stealing my things and distrubing my alone time. What do you want?" Killian questioned as he went back to exploring the wooden model of Camden Town. But before I could even answer, Ollie came inside Killy's office. "The Blinder's here" he told us both. Beside me I could see Killian's turn his head slightly "Blinder?". I ignored my younger brother and motioned for Ollie to let the Blinder in. I pat Killian on his shoulder before walking out of his office. "Fuck sake" I heard him curse behind me and then follow me. While we walked through our bakery, Killian stayed close to me. Our arms often brushed against one another. One of Killian's methods to know where the person was going to that he was with. He can navigate the bakery, like a bloodhound sniffing the trail of a fox, but when he doesn't know the destination exactly, he'll stick close.

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
"Put him down, Ollie" a voice appeared through the Solomon's bakery. "Put him down, mate. He's only little". I turned my head and saw two men approaching. Alfie Solomon with his brother Killian Solomon "You're on your own?" Alfie questioned me. I looked around me "seems so". "Well' you're a brave lad, ain't you? You want to take a look at our bakery?" Alfie asked turning around. I could see that his shoulder pushed against the younger brother turning the lad around. "We bake the brown bread. We bake the white bread. Would you like to try some?" He questioned turning on his heel to face me. Killian bumped into Alfie when his brother stopped. "Apologies, Kill" he told his brother quickly and then turned to me. I took a quick look at the younger brother. It seemed like that kind of interaction had happened so many times before with the two that it was natural occurence. "Brown or white?" Aldie caught me out my thoughts. "I'll try the brown" I replied simply. The lads in front of me poured a glass for all three of us. I noticed that Killian had a bit of trouble finding his glass. His hand carefully moved along the table and eventually hit the glass. Is he blind, I asked myself as I followed all of them.  I took my own glass and drank some of the brown liquid. "Not bad" I commented and sat the glass back down. "Not bad?" Solomons replied, "not bad eh?". "Its fucking awfull this stuff" Killian spoke for the first time and spit the liquid back in the glass. "Brown stuff is for the workers. Now the white stuff, now that is for the bosses" he said and carefully put thw glass down. "Come along to my office" Alfie then said and continued to walk further. This time Killian wasn't close to Alfie's side. Almost like he now knew where he was meant to go. He must not be blind then, I told myself as he walked easily after his brother. Not like how I first saw him, basically glued to Alfie's side.

Published: 3rd of September 2023

Update request by:
Omegaverse1981
atomiccheesesticks