33 • Between Sisters and Sweethearts

Start from the beginning

Lizzie appreciated Stella's courage but still felt concerned. "Okay then, if that's what you think. How do you want to do this?"

Stella suggested they consult Lizzie's publicist. She moved closer to Lizzie, sitting on the back of the couch to face her. Lizzie put her phone on speaker and called her publicist, Amanda.

"Hey Amanda, I have Stella here with me, and we need to know how to go about announcing this all," Lizzie explained, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

Amanda's British accent came through clearly as she responded, "Alright ladies, I spoke to your team about organizing an interview for you, Lizzie, and they got you into the Jimmy Fallon show tomorrow afternoon. And for now, maybe a video explaining your situation. Remember, only share what you are comfortable with. You don't owe anything to anyone but yourselves, okay?"

"Okay, thanks Amanda," Lizzie nodded, glancing at Stella to gauge her thoughts. Stella responded with a reassuring nod and a faint smile. The call ended quickly.

"Live?" Stella suggested, and Lizzie nodded, her trembling hands betraying her anxiety as she opened Instagram.

"Where do you want to do it?"

"Maybe in the dining room at the table, it could be a casual 'look what I made for dinner, oh also this is my girlfriend' kind of thing," Lizzie chuckled, and Stella readily agreed.

"Sounds good, babe. I'll go serve up," Stella offered supportively as Lizzie followed her, dishing up some soup for both of them.

"Are you ready?" Lizzie asked Stella as they sat shoulder to shoulder at the table, both feeling the weight of anxiety in their chests.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Stella replied nervously. "I love you," she added quickly.

"I love you too," Lizzie smiled softly, leaning in to peck Stella's lips. The blonde pressed the live button and set the phone up in front of her, with only Stella's arm visible in the frame.

People began to join the live stream as Lizzie took her first taste of the soup, gently blowing on it to cool it down. "Ooo, this is good," she complimented.

"Yeah? That's good," Stella hummed in response, blowing on her own spoonful. Lizzie watched as the viewer count climbed, waiting for it to stabilize before beginning.

"Hello, everyone," the blonde smiled, though there was a hint of tension in her eyes.

"Did I add enough chili?" Stella chimed in, attempting to break the ice. Lizzie nodded with a thoughtful expression.

"Yeah, it's great. Any less, and I don't think I could taste it. I'm good with spice, though, and so are you, I presume," Lizzie replied, and Stella laughed.

"Why do you think I am?" The brunette asked, taking a sip of water from a glass.

"Because you are European," Lizzie shrugged, earning a nod of agreement from Stella.

"I think we have enough viewers now. How's everyone doing today?" Lizzie noticed the comments pouring in so rapidly that she struggled to keep up. Stella stayed just out of the frame, eating slowly and enjoying the affectionate comments directed at Lizzie.

"My lovely partner made me soup for dinner, and I don't really know what's in it, but it tastes amazing," Lizzie said, chuckling and tilting her bowl slightly to show the viewers.

"Today you might have noticed some rumors going around," Lizzie addressed the matter head-on. "And I'm here to tell you they are true." She took a deep breath, and Stella admired her composure, even though she could see Lizzie's trembling hands in her lap. "I have a girlfriend, named Stella. I call her El or Stell, or even 'shithead' sometimes, depending on my mood," Lizzie joked playfully.