The Thing in my closet...

If you would tell me in the past (exactly a year ago) that I would find out that my best friend is a wendigo, that a cult wanted me to be in some wack proficiency, and that my life would not be normal after that. I would say you're lying and messing with me. But we're not always right, are we?

Everything still seemed off to me, the thought of me being involved in whatever this was very... Very, what word should I use? Sad? Insane? Crazy? Yeah, I'll settle with that. (But I wouldn't blame you if you said the other two words would fit it better instead.)

This took place shortly after the "omnipotent notebook" incident. I just came out of the hospital, after I got into my house. I started questioning myself and the events of the past year.

Think about it, the cult, Lucas, my utter sense of dread lately. Especially the dread... The Dark God was still there, sure, maybe not in a physical form. But he (Or it) was an omnipotent deity of hatred and narcissism with a moral obligation to destroy the impure or whatever. And not only that, he has an immortal high school sociopath, and a manipulative snake I have as a "stepfather" working for him. I don't even know how to stop them.

Sure, I have a man-eating creature as a best friend in Lucas, a former cultist who knows more dirty laundry than me in Heller, and some supportive people in Dakota and Rylan. But that isn't enough against a deity who has several loyal servants and a lackey you can't kill permanently.

These were the thoughts I was asking myself as I went to bed that night. I laid down on the mattress, frowning as I looked at the wall. It usually took forever for me to sleep. My eyes were shut but I didn't feel that sense of sleepiness to seal the deal. I started moving on my bed as I tried to rest.

But everything felt off. The night was pitch-black, I could barely see anything that went past my hand. I tried to pass out but I couldn't. There are questions with no answers and I wasn't going to let it slide.

How did Mr. Jackson show up after suddenly being missing? Why did the Dark God want anything to do with me? What happened to my father? I thought to myself, my mind and emotions racing each other in pulling out straws to find conclusions. So many conclusions that I don't even believe were true.

I stayed this way, laying on my side, and continued confronting myself with questions. Shoving myself into a hell of my own making. A very self-loathing hell of my own making that made my insecurities even worse.

An hour passed without anything weird or bizarre happening. I stopped the self-interrogation and focused on what was important, my rest. I closed my eyes, breathed slowly, and tried to rest.

That was until the sound of whispers came into my ears. Quiet, incoherent whispers. The ones that you hear make your worse mental state and go to the point of no return. They sounded... demonic as I tried to rest.

At first, I ignored them. I treated them like they didn't exist. Intrusive thoughts do go away when you don't give them the room to exist in. But this didn't work, those whispers continued to pester me, and it only increased even more after that.

I then began to insult the whispers. I called them all of the insults you can imagine. Some are so vulgar that even I, a guy obsessed with messed up humor, don't want to write this down.

Oh yeah? You're nothing but pointless voices! I thought to myself, You're only a figment of my imagination! You're only here because my mind made you!

Yet again, the strategy ended up like Operation Barbarossa's success. Good at first, but failed in the long run. The whispers became even worse somehow! They became louder than a metal concert and a planet being destroyed combined.