Chapter 4

The air was tense for the rest of the day, Minghao and Mingyu not daring to make eye contact. Everyone was scared to speak, afraid that they might say the wrong thing and start a new bout of drama.

Seungcheol knew exactly why they were fighting. The tough times were getting to them. They were all slowly going mad with the knowledge that the world was to end in a week. This certainly wouldn't be the last fight they had. Of course, they'd fought before, but never like this.

"Hyung." said Soonyoung finally, looking directly at Seungcheol. "Have you noticed that Seungkwan isn't here?"

Seungcheol looked around the room, his eyes widening. He hadn't been paying attention. Maybe Seungkwan had just gone to the bathroom, but that meant he was alone. And they had promised not to be alone anymore.

"Did anyone see him leave?" he asked.

The group collectively shook their heads. Seungcheol sighed.

"I'll come with you to look." said Jeonghan, holding out his hand.

Seungcheol took his hand and held it tightly as he stood. "We'll be back." he said to the group as they started upstairs.

"Should we look in his room first?" asked Jeonghan.

"I don't see why not." said Seungcheol. "He's always there, right?"

Jeonghan nodded, biting his lip. He didn't know why, but he had a feeling something was wrong.

"Seungkwan?" called Seungcheol, knocking on the closed bedroom door. "Why is your door locked?"

"Hyung, what are you doing?" asked Seungkwan from inside. He sounded panicked, almost.

"We just came to check on you. We said we wouldn't separate, right?"

"Yeah." said Seungkwan, his voice cracking.

"Are you crying?" asked Jeonghan worriedly.

No response.

"Seungkwan, let us in." said Seungcheol, twisting the locked doorknob hopelessly.

"Hyungs..."

Now Jeonghan knew something was wrong. He slipped his finger in the keyhole and started to pick the lock.

"No, please!" cried Seungkwan from inside. "I'm okay, you don't have to come in!"

"Why don't you want to come with us?" asked Seungcheol.

There was a small pause. "Hyung, it's not like that..."

The door swung open, revealing Seungkwan, who was sitting on the bed with a knife. Cuts ran up and down his arms and legs, blood pouring out onto the sheets. Tears spilt from his eyes, staining his cheeks.

"Kwannie!" cried Jeonghan, running towards him. "Kwannie, why?"

"I'm sorry..." sniffed Seungkwan, sinking into Jeonghan's arms. "I'm really sorry..."

"Why would you do this, Seungkwan?" asked Seungcheol gently, sitting beside him on the bed.

"I can't live like this for a week." said Seungkwan miserably. "I'm going insane worrying about everything. Besides, if we're going to die in a week, I might as well end it sooner than later."

"Seungkwan, we need you." said Jeonghan, tears in his own eyes. "We might not get to live after this week, but the least we can do is make this the best week of our lives. Besides, what if we do find a way to end it all? You would die for nothing."

Seungkwan nodded. "I'm sorry, hyungs."

"Stop saying sorry." said Seungcheol. "It's not your fault. We're going to make this last week the best. And you're going to stay through it all. Keep holding on, at least for this week."

Seungkwan sniffled and nodded. "I'll try."

"We should stop the bleeding." said Jeonghan. "If we don't, you'll probably bleed out. Cheollie, will you go get the first aid kit?"

Seungcheol nodded and stood up quickly, hurrying to get the first aid kit. Jeonghan wrapped his arms around Seungkwan, who seemed genuinely sorry.

"Please, don't tell anyone else about this. I don't want them to know." said Seungkwan.

"I won't." said Jeonghan, his tone motherly. "Try to calm down, okay? I'm sad seeing you cry."

Seungkwan nodded. "I'm trying. Just don't leave me, hyung."

"Why would I ever leave you?" asked Jeonghan softly. "I'll never leave you, Seungkwan."

But deep down, both of them knew it was a lie. They were going to leave each other. They'd never see each other again, nor would they see anyone else. They would be gone, their lives over far too soon.