The run up to the ball

Mulai dari awal

"Welcome to my humble abode", James said, his face slightly red with embarrassment.

"Humble smuble", I said in a teasing way which only made his face redder.

"I don't know if my parent are home yet and I forgot to bring my keys with me so let's hope that Moony and Padfoot are home", James said before knocking on the door three times and we waited in silence for a few minutes. James knocked again when the door flew open.

"Oh for Merlin's sake, Prongs. Patience-", Sirius's booming voice was cut short as he laid eyes on me.

"LILYKINS", He shrieked before hoisting me up and shaking me around.

"Padfoot, mate let's not scare Lily off on the first day", Remus said smiling widely at me.

"Come on in, Lils", Sirius said and slung a hand around my shoulders and dragging me into the house.

I allowed myself to be pulled away from James by Sirius while James and Remus hung back, whispering about something. Remus looked tense and worried while James pat his back and reassured him about something. Sirius then pulled me into a huge but cosy looking kitchen.

There was something baking in the oven, the kettle was boiling water and there was a bowl of cookie dough rolled and ready to be shaped. A small noise sounded from the pantry which sounded like someone rummaging around, looking for something.

"Mum, meet Lily Evans who now  is also known as James Potter's girlfriend", Sirius said loudly as he plopped down on a chair.

"Sirius, honey, how many times have I told you not to shout at guests. Hello Lily. It's really nice to finally be able to put a face to the name I've been hearing for a very long time", Mrs. Potter chuckled.

Mrs. Potter was a petite woman who had brown hair and a few specks of grey here and there. She had a warm smile on her face that lit up the room and her eyes were hazel, just like James. She was carrying a few cookie cutters in shaped I've never seen before- a witch on a broom, a cat, an owl and many more.

"Hi, Mrs. Potter. I'm Lily Evans. I don't know what you've heard about me but I hope it's good things", I said nervously wringing my hands.

"Call me Effie, dear. And I've heard all good things, dear. Sit down", Effie smiled warmly and gestured for my to sit.

"Pie, Lily?" Effie asked and cut a generous piece of pie and serving it to me.

"Hmmm.... Mrs. Potter, this is so delicious", I said, smacking my lips.

"So fucking delicious isn't it?" Sirius said, his mouth still full of pie.

"Language, Sirius. And how many times do I have to tell you not to talk with food in your mouth", She scolded him and turned around to roll out the cookie dough.

I ate the pie quickly as the apparation had tired me out. Sirius had added another big chunk and was sloppily eating it. I reached over to the jug of pumpkin juice and poured me a cup as James and Remus walked in.

"Pie! Thanks, Mum", James said and dropped a kiss on her cheek before taking a plate and cutting a piece for himself. Remus sat opposite of Sirius and James opposite of me.
Everyone was quiet as we tucked in but then conversation broke out.

"Mum, dad not home yet?" James asked after washing his plate.

"No, dear. But don't worry he'll be back soon. He won't miss tonight", Efiie said patting his arm comfortingly but I could see the way both of their eyes had lost it's spark.

"Hey, wanna go for a walk?" I said softly as I slipped my hand into his and squeezed it lightly.

"I actually want to catch a nap, Lils. I'm sorry but I'll be up in a while. That okay?" James asked, his face had a closed expression.