Chapter 2

The Sorting Hat began singing it's song,

'Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your black,
Your sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in ,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in ,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old ,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!'

A few students went up and got sorted before Sirius was called, 'Black, Sirius.'

It wasn't long before the Hat called, 'Gryffindor!'

After a while, it was Lily's. The hat took about 3 minutes to sort her but it was the same, 'Gryffindor!'

'Lupin, Remus.'

'Gryffindor.' Remus had a large smile on his face as he walk over to the house of lions.

'Potter, James.'

'Gryffindor!'

Finally, it was Severus's turn, he nervously walked over to the stool and McGonagall put the Sorting Hat on him.

'Ahh, it seems we have another one. Well, hello again, Severus. Did you fare well in in Slytherin?'

'Not exactly.'

'Hmm. It seems this time, you are certainly braver. More loyal. And you are still very intelligent. What should it be this time?'

'Can I be sorted into Gryffindor? My friend, Lily's there.'

'Yes, that will do for you. Gryffindor!' 

The table with red and gold banners and tablecloths bursted into loud cheers and roars. Maybe this time, it would be different. 

Lily and Remus made some room between them for him and the boy plopped down. 

'I'm so happy we're in the same house!' Lily exclaimed, squealing with excitement. 

'Me too.' Severus said, barely heard by Lily because everyone was so loud.

After the entire flock of first years were sorted, Dumbledore went onto the podium, 'Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Tweak!'

'What's his problem?' James who was seated opposite Lily asked.

A pair of red haired twins heard that question, 'He's like this every year. That's Dumbledore, our headmaster.'

'Oh hello. We didn't realize you were listening in. What are your names? Are you two twins? How did you speak in unison so well?' the ever so outgoing Lily said to them.

'My name is Fabian.'

'And I am Gideon. As you might be able to notice, I am the more handsome one.'

'We look the same, stupid git. Who are you?'

Lily giggled. 'I'm Lily Evans. That's my best friend Severus Snape.' she pointed at him.

'I'm James by the way.'