11. the hidden room

OLIVE AWOKE TO WROLF lying at her feet

OLIVE AWOKE TO WROLF lying at her feet. The colossal dog was curled up at the edge of her bed, his head resting on his two front paws.

Despite the strange events of the preceding night, she'd felt safe enough to rest with Wrolf by her side. After he'd rescued her in the forest, Olive had come to realize that the dog did not share his master's beliefs – to Wrolf, she was an honorary Merryweather.

As she stirred, Wrolf's eyes blinked open. The whole mattress wobbled as the dog stood and climbed over to Olive, adoring her with a big, slobbery kiss.

"Oh, Wrolf," Olive laughed, wiping her face with her sheets. "You are such a good boy, you."

Wrolf panted, happily, his massive canines visible as if he were smiling, with his large tongue drooping out of his mouth.

Suddenly remembering why she'd brought Wrolf into her room, foreboding dread washed over Olive. Would the rest of her days at Moonacre be filled with fear? Would she always wonder if the bandits were watching, waiting to catch her?

And all for what? Some stupid pearls that she didn't even own?

Olive groaned, pulling as much of Wrolf as she could into her arms, trying to bury her fears in the dog's shaggy fur.

"Oh, Wrolf.. What shall I do?"

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

That morning after breakfast, Aunt Jane announced that the girls were to have a free day – no lessons, and most pleasing to Olive, no needlepoint. The elder woman excused herself to begin a long day of leisurely reading.

When they were alone in the hall, Maria came close to Olive, and whispered in her ear: "My room, ten minutes – there's something I must tell you."

Olive's eyes widened, and she wondered if Maria, too, had seen someone in the garden in the night.

Maria didn't say another word, and walked briskly down the hall.

Olive began to consider telling the younger girl about who she thought she'd seen. After all, Maria did now know about the bandits, and their quest.

However, despite Olive's certainty that she had seen someone, there was always the looming possibility that her thoughts may being held hostage by fear.

When it was time, Olive took to climbing the steps to Maria's tower, glancing once more at the portrait of the woman before knocking on the door.

Maria opened it, and waved Olive inside. With a sense of urgency, Maria pat the bed for Olive to sit, and stood before her, fiddling with the ribbons on her dress.