Part One// 10. Pruned

Start from the beginning

After I'd had some banku and okro stew for lunch and washed it down with half a litre of water, I hurried back upstairs to where my laptop was waiting on the desk, David's essays on display for review. I went through them carefully, correcting any mistakes and wondering at the back of my mind, if Kesewaa was doing the same thing at this exact moment. I shot down that idea as fast as it surfaced. David wasn't stupid enough to make the same mistake twice.

It was 4:15pm. As I rubbed my neck, I reminded myself that today was also a Saturday and a race weekend, and that David would probably be watching the qualifying race, if he wasn't studying. With a small smile and guilt easily dismissed, I closed Microsoft Word and pulled up YouTube, where the first video that popped up was the highlights of the Bahrain Qualifying race.

I wasn't as crazy about Formula One as David was, so when one driver from McLaren lost his grip on the track which was slick with rain and spun into a wall, I could only sigh in disappointment. Most teams had switched to full wet tires in order to have better grip on the track, but some drivers clearly weren't doing very well. Mercedes and Redbull, however, traded purple sectors like punches and almost had me at the edge of my seat for who would come in first.

It seemed inevitable when Mercedes' ace ended up in pole position.

David would be gloating this evening.

A smile I wasn't aware of had grown on my face, but was immediately wiped off with the rumbling of the gate. An onslaught of nerves had my heart beating erratically as I heard the first car drive in, and then the second. The gate rumbled close. The time on the taskbar read 4:30pm. Deja vu like unwelcome rain flooded my senses as I stood and headed downstairs.

"...tomorrow afternoon. I'll need to put some things in order at work on Monday, so tomorrow is the only available time."

"When you get back from the salon? It will most likely be evening by then."

"I'm not changing my mind, and the portal is open until July 31st. We just need to pick up a few weather-appropriate clothes." Mum walked into the living room where I waited, followed by dad. She came over, keys and phone in one hand, the other gently caressing my cheek as she studied my locks, which were tied back with a scarf. "We'll go to the salon tomorrow so you can get a trim." She said softly.

"Okay."

Dad glanced over after placing his bag in the barely used navy couch. "How was your day? Have you been studying?"

"I have." I replied.

"Good." He gave a satisfactory nod and rubbed his neatly trimmed beard. "The fact that school is on a break doesn't mean you have to neglect your books."

Mum stepped back and grinned. "We bought vouchers for Legon and Tech so you can start applying as soon as possible."

"Legon and Tech?" I asked in a small voice.

"Yes." She studied my face. "I was under the impression that you've always wanted to end up at one of those two."

"They both have very good engineering courses I'm sure you'll enjoy." Dad added. He stood behind the couch with his hands resting on it, his expression stoic. "Legon doesn't offer electrical engineering, but you can pursue computer engineering if you want to go there."

"Engineering?" What were they talking about?

Dad sighed, already getting annoyed by my confused echoes. "Yes, Tricia. But I recommend you go to Tech. You can study electrical engineering there, and it'll be easier for you while you work in the company."

My eyes flickered from one parents to another; mum in her pressed black pantsuit, dad in a maroon kaftan, both with matching frowns of their faces. I took a wobbly step backward and rubbed my palms on the shorts of my romper. The world was spinning wildly out of its axis, leaving me dizzy with no clear clue which way was forward.